cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rain at last ! ! !

Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

Rain at last ! ! !

The rainmaker dance I did on Friday, seems to have worked ! ! ...( that`s what I told the missus ! ! ! ! ) 

Been raining now for a couple of hours,  not heavy, but enough to get wet if you walked across the road !... Next door neighbour has a cooking apple tree, that is looking pretty sorry for itself,.Leaves all curled up., and small apples dropped... .. I have been sneakily watering it, occasionally, by poking the hose over the fence and giving the root area a soaking for about a minute... some newer leaves seem to have appeared, but the crop this year will be well down.

Expecting it to contiue raining all day, until about 7pm, which will save me watering the 40 odd roses that "er in doors" has in pots around the garden.

Also the temperatures have been more pleasant... only managed 20 c yesterday on the car thermometer.

23 REPLIES
Mayfly
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Rain at last ! ! !

We had a thunderstorm on Friday and it filled 1.5 water butts in 10 mins and has been raining, sometimes quite heavily, since.

I feel the heat so am perfectly happy with these temps.

VinceMarsters
Grafter

We had a couple of decent intensity storms here yesterday - although they only lasted for 5-10 minutes each time, so not long enough to do a great deal. Today it is a bit more drizzly so it should start helping getting to ground a bit wetter (has chance to soak in rather than running off with downpours). The added benefit to me, as someone built for the arctic not the Sahara, is that I can finally turn off my fans and air conditioning. Should hopefully save me a fortune in me electric.

VinceMarsters
Grafter

@Mayfly wrote:

I feel the heat so am perfectly happy with these temps.

Me too. The higher sticky temperatures make me feel very rough.

Community Veteran

@shutter wrote:

The rainmaker dance I did on Friday, seems to have worked ! ! ...( that`s what I told the missus ! ! ! ! ) 

So it was your faultGrin

I enjoy the hot weather we have experienced in recent weeks and hope they will return soon. We have had heavy rain in Essex this morning but it has stopped now.

Played tennis this morning. Luckily we booked an indoor court so didn't get rained off.

Community Veteran

@artmo  Just put it down to..... my Naval T   raining  ! ! ! ! Cheesy

Fixes: 144

16.9 degrees C outside and a light shower has just stopped.

The grass is starting to look greener on both sides.

The recent strong winds gusting to 25mph have brought down a few apples off my apple tree, the pear tree faired better.

The hot nights have left me finally falling asleep around 5am most days and that takes its toll.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 62.0.3 (64-bit)

Community Veteran

Here`s a conundrum.... ( I think )..... when we have thes scorching hot days that turn into weeks.... the grass dies back and goes brown..... why don`t the weeds do the same thing ?   they seem to be able to grow on, regardless ! 

VinceMarsters
Grafter

Weeds are great things like that - always seem to thrive by starving everything else (so in weather like we have had they tend to grab all the water and nutrients at the expense of plants/grass).

Community Veteran

Looks like the rain is on its way out. The sun is returning:

Rain, rain go away

Community Veteran

The rain in Spain falls mainly......nowhere at present.

Spain is expecting record breaking temperatures this weekend.

The Rain in Spain...

Community Veteran

That`s true ! ! ... Temps today reached 31.5 in the back garden in the shade... was 27 c indoors with the windows and doors open and a desk fan running...

Community Veteran

Yesterday`s papers were full of doom and gloom, forecasting thunderstorms, lightning, flash floods,   and all we got was a few drops of rain that lasted about 1 minute... very very disappointed...  I will have to water the garden tonight...Cry

Community Veteran

We had a very brief shower yesterday afternoon - hardly wet the ground. Later, early evening, we had a decent drop of rain which was much needed.

Community Veteran

@shutter i hope you've stopped your rain dancing. We've had steady rain all morning. Enough!! Bring back to sunshine Cool smiley