Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rain....Rain....Rain

Strat
Fixes: 495

Rain....Rain....Rain

Rain 07-11-2019.JPG

And still it comes 🙄

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 86.0 (64-bit)

33 REPLIES 33
wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Re: Rain....Rain....Rain

Yeah, but because no new reservoirs are being built and water companies continue to suck the rivers dry we will have a hosepipe ban within a few weeks. Demand for water continues to rise but I doubt any reservoir been built in the last 30 years or more...

I think the last dam was Elan valley, opened in 1904,   but I have read that environment agency are reluctant to let new reservoirs be built, so maybe it's not all the fault of water companies.

A lot of the flooding is due to the water running off unimpeded because of loss of peat bogs ( natures sponges ) and tree cover...

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@wotsup wrote:

Yeah, but because no new reservoirs are being built and water companies continue to suck the rivers dry we will have a hosepipe ban within a few weeks. Demand for water continues to rise but I doubt any reservoir been built in the last 30 years or more...

I think the last dam was Elan valley, opened in 1904,   but I have read that environment agency are reluctant to let new reservoirs be built, so maybe it's not all the fault of water companies.

A lot of the flooding is due to the water running off unimpeded because of loss of peat bogs ( natures sponges ) and tree cover...

Probably true about reservoir construction but Wimbleball Lake Exmoor has a big dam which was finished in 1979. Use to go inside the dam many times while working for the water company.

Today has been very wet around here, seen flooding on roads that I haven't seen flooded in the 8 years that I've lived round these parts. I see they have a rainfall warning for tonight as well. It's been tipping it down. But I wouldn't blame everything on habitat loss. Doesn't help admittedly but then you go down streets where land has been concreted over. Just to build more houses, park the car etc.

Still, nature will wipe us out fairly soon. Then over the next million years etc who knows what will take over. What a lot of people fail to accept is that after we have gone, the Earth will still be here.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
twocvbloke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

If every house had at least one 1000 Litre IBC tank to store rain in, and plumbed that stored supply into the bog & washing machine, we'd not need to pay so much to the water co's with their leaking pipes and bursting reservoir dams... 😁

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 45

@Strat Lovely day yesterday... bright and sunny.. a few "fluffy bits" floating around the sky on a gentle breeze...temp was 12 c... but did not feel chilly at all..

today... same again... thank you very much... but the temp was only 10c... however. with the sun shining, it felt much more like 15c or 16c. and , indeed, I was out for lunch, and considering sitting outside "al fresco".. it was "shirt sleeve order" as dress of the day...

agedgopher
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

@idonno 

There have been reservoirs built since 1904.

Rutland Water opened in 1975

Kielder Water opened in 1982

Carsington Water opened in 1992

Claerwen Dam opened in 1952, part of the Elan valley project.

I am sure that there are others in addition to these.

Strat
Fixes: 495

https://riverlevels.uk

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 86.0 (64-bit)

TTman
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 1

@shutter  You can go off people you know when they brag🤣

shutter
Community Veteran

@TTman  not braggin`.... Just tellin` how it is ! ! ( was ) ....( three guffawing chinamen emoticons)

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

We do all know it's Autumn right? 😃

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
198kHz
Hero
Fixes: 31

...and I suspect we ain't seen nothin' yet.  😦

The older I get, the earlier it gets late.

ADSL2+   Billion 8800NL
shutter
Community Veteran

Good morning all, from the sunny south ! !  ( guffawing chinaman emoticon)

Yup... up with the lark this morning.... bright sunshine... clear blue sky. some high light cloud , and a very cool temp of 6c ..light frost on the car....  but it is a "beautiful morning"  again... ( more guffawing chinamen in a row ! ! ! ) ..

Screenshot at 2019-11-08 08-17-42 weather.png

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Nice here as well out west @shutter 

🌞🌞🌞

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 15

Nice and sunny here today in Lancashire.

No plans to drive far today as some roads are still flooded.

A number of people had to spend the night in Meadow hall (Sheffield) a major shopping complex due to the floods.

Seem to recall reading somewhere summers would be warmer but winters wetter due to climate change....not that we have seen much of a summer here.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

I see it's on BBC News, from where I live in South East London I have seen nothing so far.

Though I see Sheffield mentioned as you say @gleneagles, which I know is PlusNet HQ. Just hope all the staff and everyone they know are fine.