Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rain....Rain....Rain

wotsup
Champion

Re: Rain....Rain....Rain

@shutter wrote:

Good morning all, from the sunny south ! !  ( guffawing chinaman emoticon)

Well being as the 'sunny south'  gets a lot of its water from 'the rainy North' I don't know why you are so happy.  how about if the northerners take it in mind to blow up the pipelines ( 🤣  rolling on the floor laughing emoticon )

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@wotsup wrote:

how about if the northerners take it in mind to blow up the pipelines ( 🤣  rolling on the floor laughing emoticon )

Nah, just find where the water goes into the pipe, and then proceed to have a wee in it... 😁

Anyway, rainy here with some wintery mush mixed in, also chilly, but as I'm about to hit the hay I don't care cos my blanketry will keep me cosy & warm... 😋

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Does not take much to see that a lot of this water has nowhere to go but flood the place out given than most of the city and town centres are concreted over - even in the suberbs, those once front gardens have been tarmacked over to be used as parking spaces. Something I avoided doing m'self - just broke up the existing cracked concrete, left it as hardcore and put gravel down so at least the water when it rained could soak through.

And the drains and sewers? Well they are blocked full with food waste, old tea bags, wet wipes and fatbergs.  😉

Community Veteran

@Minivanman wrote:

And the drains and sewers? Well they are blocked full with food waste, old tea bags, wet wipes and fatbergs.  😉

At this time of year around here, leaves cover everything. They only get cleared up after they have blocked the drains.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised to see this notice for a tracked parcel I posted a few days ago.

"Parcel delayed in transit"

I'm guessing it will be at least a couple of days before the tide goes back out in Sheffield.

Fixes: 331

Funny you should say that @billnotben 

"We're sorry your package is late

We're working to get your package back on track, and we'll let you know when your package is out for delivery.

Please come back tomorrow if you still don't have it and we'll help you out.

Was expected Wednesday, 6 November"

I'm sure if I ask, they will blame the weather.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 70.0.1 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Community Veteran

@Strat wrote:

they will blame the weather.

Yes.

On the same parcel this is what the person expecting that parcel sees.

"We've got your parcel and it's on its way but the weather is slowing us down. We'll get it to you as soon as we can"

Still, if they're busy bailing out a later than expected parcel is the last thing they will be worrying about.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 28

@billnotben wrote:

"Parcel delayed in transit"

About time the got a new van, then....  ( guffawing chinaman emoticon)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

When it comes to Fords, 90% of them are still on the road today, the other 10% actually made it home... 🤣

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Talking of Fords...........

I was surprised to see a Blue Ford Cortina GXL mk3 drive by. The thing that hits you is how fancy it is compared to todays drab cars. Sparkling metallic paint, loads of chrome embellishments, and even the vinyl roof looked good.

On our present cars even the useful rubber door protection strips seem to have disappeared .

wotsup
Champion

@billnotben wrote:

Talking of Fords...........

I was surprised to see a Blue Ford Cortina GXL mk3 drive by. The thing that hits you is how fancy it is compared to todays drab cars. Sparkling metallic paint, loads of chrome embellishments, and even the vinyl roof looked good.

On our present cars even the useful rubber door protection strips seem to have disappeared .

Todays cars all designed in same wind-tunnel - go back to 1930's and around there are some proper well designed cars,  like art Deco on wheels,  and then a bit later like Jowett Javellin ( made in Yorkshire )..

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Early 70s, and will always remember the sad sight for me even then of a Jowett Javellin that looked to have been either dumped or abandoned in an underground car park of a block of Council flats in Sutton.The place was rarely used (and I found out why after the front wheels of my old Zodiac were pinched) but what a shame to see that particular classic being slowly wrecked over the weeks.

Chaucer House for anybody that remembers it. Probably long gone by now but then who cares. ☹️

Minesapint
Pro

@Minivanman  Still surprises me what you used to see around just dumped. I can remember a Vauxhall Cresta E and a Gogomobil dumped on a piece of waste ground in the early 60s. I've never even seen a Gogomobil on the road, and I can't remember the last 50's Vauxhall I saw. That was sometime around that Winter of 62-63. Nothing visibly wrong with either of them when dumped, but they were soon wrecked. There was a scrap yard I found in the late 60s that was full of 30s and 40s cars. Most of them "ordinary" stuff, Morrises and so on that must have been scrapped after "The ten year test" came in in 1960. They'd disappeared by the early 70s.

They were all just unwanted scrap at the time I suppose.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 28

Meanwhile.... back on topic  ! ! !  .. ( smiley chinaman emoticon)

We had a frost this morning, with a strong hint of red in the sky.... lovely morning... sunshine melted the frost... and gradually by 11:30 the predicted ( red sky in the morning - warning) rain came... only expected to last a couple of hours... so we went out to lunch as usual... rain wasn`t too bad..did not need the brolly to get to and from the car... . plenty of spray on the motorway though... and a few idiots driving with no lights at 70 mph ( +???)  in the fast lane..

so... should be dry by tea time! . (more smiley chinamen emoticons)

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Lovely night sky here last night. Nice and dry for the drive home but car showing just four degrees outside so brr, heating on. 

[-Censored-]ing with rain this morning though!

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 4

Walking home from a house-party at 3:30 am the weather forecast drop in temperature to 1°C didn't seem to have materialised.  Slightly chilly but didn't seem that cold.  And no rain at the time.