cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rage against the forum!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Rage against the forum!

BBC Radio 1 has an interesting thing on .. Rage against the answering machine. It features people ringing in venting their frustrations in life to the answering machine. Some of them get played on the radio if they're considered a laugh.
So.. what makes you rage?
Go on.. let it out!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
31 REPLIES
gnicholson8
Grafter

Re: Rage against the forum!

For me, simple....

BTOR
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

and there is a prime bloody example. Why do people insist on using the rarest of acronyms to describe something and expect you to understand?
If its that rare and you're going to use it at least put the full meaning in brackets!
Next up.. supermarkets reducing stuff to bargain prices when they know its faulty or been problematic..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I think that you make a good point. However, I think that most readers of this forum, will know/guess BT OpenReach
Community Veteran

The 'school run', with Chelsea Tractors being manoeuvred in confined spaces.
shalom2010
Grafter

Nothing - I'm a relaxed cool guy (bet that will make a few rage) Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Microsoft Windows !  Angry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: gnicholson8
For me, simple....

BTOR

People who do this.... so I have to plead ignorance, and go to google and look it up...
and people who also post an abbreviation/acronym and then put the explanation in brackets...
why bother... ? 
in the first instance.... it is "showing off"... ( I know something you idiots don`t .... type of thing ).....
In the second instance... why bother with the short version, when you are putting the "plain and simple" forward,  to explain what you have written? 
nanotm
Pro

throbbers who think there clever pointing out grammatical or spelling errors in an internet forum post, if it was something that mattered it wouldn't be posted loosely as an opine on a forum

its even more rage inducing when having taken the time ot explain about dyslexia and how it affects you as an individual certain forumites then make it there lifes mission to poke holes in every post based on what there interpretation of dyslexia is and how (in there uninformed opinion which must be correct be cause they have some pointless bit of paper purporting to grant them god like powers in the form of a degree) your either just to stupid and lazy to be informed enough to have an opinion, makes me want to scream in there face "newsflash you conceited lil f****** your not the only person who can have an opinion every one can and there all equally valid that's the beauty of opinions"
but 99.99% of the time I refrain from such childish impulses Cheesy
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
randpwar
Grafter

I hear what you say @nanotm, and I can be accused of being a bit of a grammatical pedant (don’t get me started on the use of semi colons, and especially ‘its’ or ‘it’s’) so have to rein myself in occasionally, but you have written a paragraph in your last post of over 120 words without using a single comma. Punctuation can often dramatically change the meaning of a sentence: ‘Let’s eat Grandpa’ ‘Let’s eat, Grandpa’. Treat yourself to a little punctuation  Smiley
WTF
Grafter

For someone with dyslexia, it looks remarkably good to me.  Punctuation would help, but it's perfectly understandable as is.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: shutter
In the second instance... why bother with the short version, when you are putting the "plain and simple" forward,  to explain what you have written?  

Surely the right way to do it is to write out the full version first, then the acronym in brackets immediately following. This is simply to allow the writer to use the acronym later in the text without having to repeatedly write out in full what maybe a quite long explanation or description.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
WTF
Grafter

Agreed - I believe that's how it's normally done.
Having said that, the use of BTOR without explaination (even though I had no idea what it meant) on a BB forum seems reasonable.
randpwar
Grafter

BB? ......I'll get my coat  Cool
WTF
Grafter

Cheesy
dick:quote