Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RadioShack 1991 "Smartphone" ad

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

RadioShack 1991 "Smartphone" ad

Everything in this 1991 RadioShack ad exists in a single Smartphone today.
13 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: RadioShack 1991 "Smartphone" ad

not sure they work as a radar scanner or cd player but yeah everything else is pretty much able to be done on them given the right apps, and yes I know cd's are bigger than most phones Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Although, many Smartphone SatNavs have Speed Camera & Radar Sites as a function.
I have a couple that do this....
Plus
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.radarbeep&hl=en
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cobra-iRAD-105-Detector-Android-Devices/dp/B004RQD604

Nearly Everything in this 1991 RadioShack ad exists in a single Smartphone today.
nanotm
Pro

yeah some of them beep to alert the user to known locations, what I meant was none of them can actually scan the airwaves to find the signals Smiley
I know its a form of finding them just as mp3's or wma's are similar to cd tracks (both being digital music) but there not the same thing
either way it is amazing that we are getting closer to that 1970's startrek idea of an all in one tricorder type device that can diagnose you internal organ damage  and track movement in the forest at 1000 paces except unlike startrek we can also use ours for voice comms  Smiley
Community Veteran

The radar scanner is not a massive leap from the Wi-Fi scanner app that is readily available, it's just a matter of adjusting the frequency scanned.
As for the CD player, we've progressed beyond that, though we do have phones with hard drives in them, storing much more data than cds.
Community Veteran

Quote from: doris
, it's just a matter of adjusting the frequency scanned.

which is not at all trivial to do
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
nanotm
Pro

radar systems use a frequency well outside the operating range of mobile phones, you would need a plug in unit in order to detect radar as well as the software to make it work, certainly not a trivial thing as getting the hardware side wrong would easily lead to you cooking the device (which is why they have filters to remove those frequencies and harmonics from the antenna in case they do randomly get picked up)
Community Veteran

Quote from: nanotm
we are getting closer to that 1970's startrek idea of an all in one tricorder type device

But still no sign of anything like a Trek communicator.
nanotm
Pro

Push to talk type apps have been available for years, I had one on my work phone 8 years ago, you pushed the button said the voice tag and the corresponding handset beeped until they picked up and you could talk to each other, you could group chat through it and even send pm's, the only problem was range to a base station as it didn't run over the mobile network unless your employer was paying a small fortune for the service, a lot of cab companies use similar technology now rather than the old cb units
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: billnotben
But still no sign of anything like a Trek communicator.

I wouldn't say that, with the voice recognition (Google Voice, Siri or Cortana) on phones these days, you can press a button and say who you want to call and it does it, not quite flip up an antenna say "Kirk to Enterprise" and off you go, but still pretty damned good... Smiley
I just see smartphones and tablets as the PADDs (Personal Access Display Devices) from TNG-onwards, handheld multi-function computing devices, though throw in AndroSensor on a 'droid and it does actually take readings like a tricorder, just not picking up a phase variance in the tricyclic quantum resonator assembly... Grin
Community Veteran

Except all our Kirk wannabes need a huge network of aerials, signal boosters, base stations, etc etc even to call Spock standing 10 feet away.
Fixes: 125

TOS often showed tablet-looking devices with a stylus pen along with 3.5"-looking floppy discs.
Real life often mirrors Sci-Fi.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Mav
Real life often mirrors Sci-Fi.

Indeed, Ion Propulsion for example, now a reality, in the 1960s, completely made up by Star Trek writers (and proclaimed by scotty as being an incredible technology), they're also working on warp drive which so far has laboratory-tested as working, a portable handheld communication device, well, that's the mobile phone, solid state portable storage (the coloured storage devices used on TOS), USB pendrives, touchscreen interfaces, thin displays, food replicators, so many things from star trek that have become reality... Grin
Community Veteran

Not forgetting that all those things were in scifi books long before trek.