Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radio Caroline 2017

Infinity
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Radio Caroline 2017

The first of the off-shore pirate radio stations is to return to the airwaves.

Radio Caroline was founded in 1964 and broadcast from ships until 1991, when the Ross Revenge was shipwrecked off the Kent coast.

The station continues to exist, and is currently an internet and digital service.

After a successful application to Ofcom, Radio Caroline has been given the medium wave frequency of 648kHz - once used by the BBC World Service.

The frequency, once used to relay broadcasts to Eastern Europe, will be taken over from noon on Friday.

I used to listen avidly to Radio Caroline, and a one point had many cassettes of the master tapes of Jingles, sadly lost in the depths of time

10 REPLIES
Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Radio Caroline 2017

Ahhhh, Radio Caroline eh?  I too used to be an avid listener. As for the jingles, somewhere in the deep, dark corners of the www there will be some sort of way of getting them back.  Cheesy  Try here http://www.normanb.net/offshore.htm, click Radio Caroline button, or..try youtube and get them off there. Thumbs Up

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Anyone old enough to remember Radio Luxemburg? Jack Jackson and his cat, not to mention Horace Batchelor and his football pools fiasco, based in K - E - Y - N - S - H - A - M ! 

Fixes: 196

My parents bought me a little transistor radio when I was a kid which I used to hide under my pillow then when they were in bed I would turn it on. I never did get caught but I do wonder if they knew anywayUndecided

I think a lot of Radio One DJs cut their teeth at Radio Luxemburg.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 18

Very disappointed....... supposed to have 1 kilowatt of power radiated from transmitter site near "Brandon"...Suffolk,... but can`t hear anything ( except noise ) on my 66foot long wire aerial... ( nor on my "broomstick" vertical at 25 feet).. here in Portsmouth...BUT>.. I can hear some Spanish station on 653 kc/s ! ! ! .

ffox
Rising Star

I can get it here (NW Cambs) on an old portable.  Good outdoors, a lot of noise indoors. 

@shutter: Why the inverted commas for "Brandon"?  

Community Veteran
Fixes: 18

@ffox  I put it in inverted commas, as it was a quote from another source.. and I wasn`t sure if the location was correct.

ffox
Rising Star

It wasn't! Smiley

To quote the Colchester Gazette: "Caroline’s signal will radiate from a huge mast at Orford Ness on the Suffolk Coast, once home to the top-secret Cobra Mist radar site."   https://tinyurl.com/ycvek8jv

That's about 75 miles from here and approximately 150 miles from you.  The Blackwater Estuary (where the ship is moored) is 30 miles SW of Orford. 

(Brandon is out in the sticks NW of Thetford. It's on the edge of Breckland, where Dad's Army was filmed.)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Remember Radio Luxemburg?  I have a 'Luxy 208 red, blue and gold badge that I won on a phone in. Happy days!

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 45

Luxemburg is the radio station I have fond memories of, sometimes waiting for ages for the signal to be strong enough to listen to Thumbs Up

I must have been really bad in a previous life as this was my 3rd ISP in a row that used lithium.
Now you're stuck with me because my new ISP doesn't run a forum Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Found my old 'Luxy 208' badge.... a bit of tarnish but still pretty good condition. Happy days!!