cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RTFM

Thunderclap
Grafter

RTFM

Cool As any guy knows, looking at any instruction manual is something done as the last and not first resort. Anyway, out of curiosity, I thought I'd read the little users-manual booklet that came with my soldering iron. You know, just in case there was something that I'd missed after three years of use. Yep, I'd certainly missed some thing

19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: RTFM

Translated from Korean, by a Chinese guy using a 1930s  Letts, teach yourself Korean booklet?
Fixes: 47

There are sad individuals who will read manuals cover to cover even when they don't own the item in question.
Like for example when visiting someone who happens to have a new TV and asks to see the manual.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Thunderclap
Grafter

Quote from: doris
Translated from Korean, by a Chinese guy using a 1930s  Letts, teach yourself Korean booklet?

The manual is also in German, so I've no idea how bad that must be. When you think of just how good made in China technology is, you would think they'd be able to find just one person who can write in the standard of the word when it is needed to be put into the papers of the man reading in the hand?
Quote from: Strat
There are sad individuals who will read manuals cover to cover even when they don't own the item in question.
Like for example when visiting someone who happens to have a new TV and asks to see the manual.

I've met them, and even though they've read the say, Panasonic HDTV manual cover-to-cover, they still ask what's an HDMI?
RichAllen
Grafter

When I get a new Xbox game, I usually read the manual (or as Dad calls it, the "book o' words") to see if there's any cheats.
Community Veteran

I used to sit next to the chap who wrote user manuals for imported products sold by one of the UK's largest retailers. He'd get the "shonky" Chinese variant and recreate it from scratch.
He was a bit of a perfectionist.
I remember an old motherboard manual that in the memory upgrade section had words to the effect : "You can easily upgrade the memory without the hand of God"
Fixes: 47

Quote from: Thunderclap
I've met them, and even though they've read the say, Panasonic HDTV manual cover-to-cover, they still ask what's an HDMI?

Oh I definitely know what an HDMI is Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Oh I definitely know what an HDMI is Wink

Handbook / Datasheet / Manual / Instructions ?
Fixes: 125

I used to love the challenge of setting video recorders (before VideoPlus) for friends or family without resorting to any manuals. Never failed to succeed even once.
The only reason I looked at the manual for my Sony camera last year was to see if there were any functions I missed. I think there was one!

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I repaired an Arcam AV amplifier yesterday. I had the service manual and schematics and it was a piece of cake to repair although there were around 50 screws that had to come out to get to the main board.
I hooked up the 6 speakers, turned it on then had to read the manual to work out how to navigate the menu system, set the speaker parameters, turn on the subwoofer etc etc ......
I can build and repair the things but it is getting harder to work out how the manufacturer has intended them to be used.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I hate instruction books. Part of the challenge (IMO) is trying to make something work without the blasted paperwork.
Service manuals... I hate these even more! They're far too complex, rarely ever have any proper fault finding procedure, electrical wiring diagrams are often screwy (well in car service manuals anyway) and even then they'll not cover that one rare fault that you end up with  Crazy
We've had a car on the drive thats refused to start for moons. A mate of mine at the dealers got me the electrical service manual for it which was for their own tech dept before it all went computerized. Despite this the manual (while being very in depth) was a real pain to understand. While it was useful to have in some ways, it never really helped a great deal. Eventually I found the fault was a dodgy connection and as soon as that was sorted the car started  Roll eyes
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Thunderclap
Grafter

Quote from: 7up
I hate instruction books. Part of the challenge (IMO) is trying to make something work without the blasted paperwork.

Most paperwork these days is on a CD that comes with the carton - and will stay there... forever. All people need is the quick start quide... theory
Cool Meanwhile...
In a pub, a bloke with an Irish accent asked another if he could borrow his exploded diagram. Overhearing him, a concerned citizen called the police. It transpired the bomb maker was restoring the engine of a Triumph Toledo.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Be fair.  Writing manuals is difficult, e.g.  Bomb disposal "...cut the red wire to the detonator assembly after cutting the blue wire..."
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Thunderclap

Most paperwork these days is on a CD that comes with the carton - and will stay there... forever. All people need is the quick start quide... theory

I've never heard of a new TV coming with instructions on a CD. Nor a toaster, cooker, microwave, cordless drill, trolley jack, engine crane etc.
I think you're talking about computer accessories. Even then many of them come with paper instructions too (no point giving you a CD for that new dooda when you need to disassmeble the machine to fit it eh?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Thunderclap
Grafter

I've never heard of a new TV coming with instructions on a CD. Nor a toaster, cooker, microwave, cordless drill, trolley jack, engine crane etc.

Nope, they just say, "full instructions are available on our website after you register this product" - And the website is 404
Quote from: AlaricAdair
Be fair.  Writing manuals is difficult, e.g.  Bomb disposal "...cut the red wire to the detonator assembly after cutting the blue wire..."

Imagine a Chinese bomb disposal manual? When deflating the device, cut all wires for blasting except those wires needed in not blasting and cut wires in protective trousers.