cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RIPE IP range

mcgurka
Grafter

RIPE IP range

Now, this may seem like a random request, but Im not too sure how to go about this, maybe one of the PN boffins can help me!
I would like to request an IP range from ripe, bigger than the subnets that F9 give to customers.
I reckon i can use one of my current IP's as the gateway for the new range, chuck in a cisco box.
But, my question is, how do I go about such a range, I know I have to pay for it... Ripe's advice is see your ISP, that would be PN.
I have a feeling it will be a case of there being nothing PN can do for this, but since you are technically my registrar, I thought I would ask.. saves me paying the £6500 ripe fees every year you see Tongue
16 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 64

Re: RIPE IP range

Unfortunately a 16-block of IPs is the maximum we would allow on a PlusNet vISP account (this is free).
Metronet customers can apply for up to 256 IPs however they have to pay for this.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

mcgurka
Grafter

Am I wrong to assume MN is now operated by PN, and if this is the case howcome the same rights dont flow over to all customers?
Community Veteran

Yup, MN has been owned by PN for about 2 years? now. I would guess it's because the product sets are different. Although I'm sure someone from PN will clarify.
James
Grafter

The pricing rules with Metronet have always remained for IP Addressing.
From my previous job with PIPEX, I believe they had a monthly charge for any additional IP Addresses.
I would get you a break down of the actual pricing, but waybackmachine.org is being rather slow.
mcgurka
Grafter

haha, I only asking because RIPE told me to 'ask your upstream ISP as we cannot guarentee any addresses will be globally routable'
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 64

The Metronet account architecture allows it whereas the PlusNet architecture doesn't.
I think the IPs are also assigned from different ranges.
We can't really assign the IPs manually as it becomes an administrative nightmare.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

mcgurka
Grafter

Ahh right, do MN have some sort of business package like PN do, had a quick look at their site, and I dont rate it for finding products too much!
James
Grafter

Hi there,
There is no longer a business style product on Metronet.
mcgurka
Grafter

Ahh right, that explains it!
Would it be correct to assume that at some point, all of the bussiness processes for PN, F9, and metronet etc will all converge?
if this happens, is it likely to become an eventuality that the option for bigger ranges will appear?
Right now im staring down the barrel of more DSL lines, just to get the ips!
Scott
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Is it worth a PUGIT to allow users to buy bigger IP ranges on the PlusNet products?  How popular was it on MetroNet?
Phil
James
Grafter

Not at all.
mcgurka
Grafter

Not worth it, or no very popular? Could be a good idea, for customers like myself who need the extra ips to assign devices.
Just out of curiosity, how much did the block cost on MN?
James
Grafter

Very few requests.
[tt]Actual** Usable Cost (one-off)
  1   1   FREE
  4   1 £15.00
  8   5 £30.00
16   13 £45.00
32   29 £70.00
64   61 £90.00
128 125 £110.00
256 253 £130.00[/tt]
(Excuse the formatting)
cp:green Formatting excused. mod:end
mcgurka
Grafter

Now, to be fair, I would have paid the £130 as well!
I dont suprise me that there is not a lot of demand for them, not many people have a use for such large numbers of Ip's, but then again, there are some out there!