cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RIPA tests snooping on all user meta-data - is PlusNet involved yet?

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

Re: RIPA tests snooping on all user meta-data - is PlusNet involved yet?

@jab1

Not a lot different from 1984 then

jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 71

@TeeGee No 😉 - but it happened in his day as well, probably more than today, because people (wrongly, IMO) trusted the govt. to 'do the right thing' - remember the nerve gas/anthrax &c tests of wartime, only now being revealed?

John
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Although i'm not overly keen on RIPA, my urls being recorded and every packet of data potentially being looked at, I have little to hide and no secrets to be exploited. I'm really not going to lose sleep over this. But I do wonder if we are slowly sleep walking into a "guilty until proven innocent" state - and that worries me.

As for VPNs, I concluded a long time ago that they were there to soak up the believers of the online project fear - where everyone believes that the state is out to get all their internet activity. Who's really behind those VPNs? - What do the CIA, NSA and GHCQ sit around doing all day? - Those VPN services could well be operated by those guys themselves - and your subscriptions indirectly funding their snooping abilities - via ripa or vpn monitoring.

@TeeGee wrote:

This was also in the Daily Mail today. It is a pity that they cannot use all this tech power to track down criminals and bank fraudsters. I suppose that as we are all considered to be potentially criminal going about our daily lives, perhaps I am missing the point.

You do indeed raise a valid point. I'm sure the sheer amount of computer power used would massively improve tracking people by their mobile signals, enabling the authorities to work out the main suspects etc.Oddly though they seem more interested in knowing what we're all searching on google than doing anything really productive like controlling crime. This country has never made any sense to me though - wanting to bring peace to the world while building the most advanced weapons, planes and ships it can for example.

As for plusnet, it wouldn't be the first time they sold us down the river - anyone remember all that legal [-Censored-] regarding p2p years ago?! BT certainly love to create bad feelings with the nation so they will undoubtedly be in on it and with them clearly being at the helm of plusnet management wise, I think we can safely conclude that willing or not, plusnet have been dragged into it. When this forum was being tested before replacing SMF, I was approached as a beta tester. I said yes - and then the legal documents arrived from BT. Why would they come from BT if plusnet operate independently? I think we can all see teh bigger picture.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
madswitcher
Rising Star

or as Benny Hill used to say

"When you are watching telly and the man on it says "You are watching Channel 4"  How does he know?"

Mike

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

@7up wrote:

I'm sure the sheer amount of computer power used would massively improve tracking people by their mobile signals, enabling the authorities to work out the main suspects etc.

When I did jury service, an expert in mobile phone technology was brought in to explain the mobile phone evidence produced by the prosecution.  It was both interesting and scary at the same time.  That was some six years ago so it may be possible to pinpoint the location of the phone with even greater accuracy now.

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

So the authorities get some information from your internet activities and take you to court.....they have to produce the evidence which may well be on your computer which they have confiscated but they then have to disclose how they got that information.....

I suspect many of those charged with illegal activities have been using the dark web and get arrested when going to collect said items in which case the authorities could say anonymous tip off, or someone daft enough to use a credit card to obtain naughty photographs but the average person doing the usual legal stuff has little to worry about as it takes the authorities long enough to catch the criminals rather than bother innocent people.

I do remember that incident years ago when PN released information about some users and were faced with requests from customers about what data was being held by PN which they are legally required to provide (for a fee, I think it’s £10).

We are born into history and history is born into us.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@gleneagles wrote:

So the authorities get some information from your internet activities and take you to court.....they have to produce the evidence which may well be on your computer which they have confiscated but they then have to disclose how they got that information.....

I suspect many of those charged with illegal activities have been using the dark web and get arrested when going to collect said items in which case the authorities could say anonymous tip off

I'd be very surprised if the authorities have to completely disclose their sources / techniques for acquiring data that they obtain through discrete means. As long as they can provide the evidence itself, i suspect there would be legal clauses that allow them to dodge explaining how they obtained it - if they did, it could jeopardise future investigations.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 71

Exactly, @7up .

John
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

You chaps are getting a bit paranoid about this......

Personally I blame that fellow Orwell........

Have to keep this short as I see a couple of men in blue uniforms coming down my drive.....no idea what they want....

😊

We are born into history and history is born into us.