cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RIPA tests snooping on all user meta-data - is PlusNet involved yet?

forum_user

RIPA tests snooping on all user meta-data - is PlusNet involved yet?

Apparently there's been testing going on with two unnamed ISPs into collecting user meta-data (such as all URLs visited) and passing it back to the security services. It's part of RIPA 2016 and likely that all ISPs will have to be involved eventually. Seems the threat from the 'Snooper's Charter' is finally here.

The two ISPs involved are sworn to secrecy - but you'd have to assume BT will be one. Can Plus Net confirm they are not part of the trial? If not, then we can assume they are involved.

it's time to get a decent VPN and maybe move to a smaller ISP - because I have things I choose not to reveal, just like everyone else.

Article on BBC News about the testing : https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56362170 

23 REPLIES 23
jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 71

Re: RIPA tests snooping on all user meta-data - is PlusNet involved yet?

@forum_user I have heard this story before - probably on 'Wired' when I used to consider it a reasonable source of news, but if you look at the practicalities, unless someone has a mega-super computer somewhere, it is not really feasible - consider the volume of data involved.

Yes, I know RIPA exists, and I have no doubt it has been invoked, but due to its nature, that information is unlikely to be made public, and the costs involved probably mean it is just some megalomaniacs pipe-dream.

Not being funny, but the BBC must be running short of 'news' again.

John
TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

This was also in the Daily Mail today. It is a pity that they cannot use all this tech power to track down criminals and bank fraudsters. I suppose that as we are all considered to be potentially criminal going about our daily lives, perhaps I am missing the point.

jab1
Seasoned Hero

Must be a slow news day - as I said, the Act has been in force since 2016, and I'm sure it has been used, but its scope makes it way to expensive to invoke in full.

John
anotheruser

The latest reports imply that they are invoking the act and fully tracking users.
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/internet-connection-records-ip-act

I would also like confirmation from plusnet - I've tweeted plusnet but not had a reply.

I'll probably submiyt a SAR and ask what data has been collected and where it has been passed.

jab1
Seasoned Hero

@anotheruser I think you may fail with the SAR - I have an idea that there will be provision in RIPA to block them, and you certainly won't get a reply from Plusnet.

John
anotheruser

@jab1 I'm sure that you're right.   

I'm going to knit some tin foil hats while I fester over the controlling state that we are getting.

jab1
Seasoned Hero

Ah - so we have gained a comedian as a member.🤣

As I've said before, the cost of doing what Wired and the 'rights' group quoted in that article claim would be way, way North of the reported £175m, and the logistics would make it damn near impractical.

John
anotheruser

@jab1 that is assuming that the total cost has been declared.

It isn't as if the government has ever been found to lie about contracts or fail to publish details as required by law, is it?
Well, not since last week....

There is potentially a huge commercial value in the collected data.

jab1
Seasoned Hero

IF it ever happens, @anotheruser 

John
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@forum_user wrote:

The two ISPs involved are sworn to secrecy

- but you'd have to assume BT will be one.

Can Plus Net confirm they are not part of the trial?

If not, then we can assume they are involved.

With the first part of this.... (edited version from your intial post ) it would be a bit stupid - niaive - idiotic, ( to say the least ) for PlusNet to come out publicly and say.....

YAY  it was us   !   

dwould it not  ? ? ?

Of course, you are entitle to assume anything you like with respect to the subject matter of your post, but PlusNet is not going to divulge anything to confirm or deny your "assumptions". are they ...

anotheruser

But they could say - 'Not us'

Who was the US email provider that had a label on their website declaring that they had not released their encryption keys?   istr that they eventually closed rather than disclose teir customer data.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@anotheruser wrote:

But they could say - 'Not us'

And, of course... you would be satisfied with that, and believe it most sincerely....  Undecided

because they would only tell you the truth... or maybe they wouldn`t...   Shocked     depending on whether you believe in the truth that anyone tells you.Roll_eyes

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

When it comes to government actions George Orwell hit the nail on the head with his book 1984.

The Ministry of Truth (Newspeak: Minitrue) is the ministry of propaganda. As with the other ministries in the novel, the name Ministry of Truth is a misnomer because in reality it serves the opposite: it is responsible for any necessary falsification of historical events. However, like the other ministries, the name is also apt because it decides what "truth" is in Oceania.

The current government have deployed this tactic to perfection and with such conviction that people really do believe that if you go outside when it is not essential "people will die".

We are also being told that Smart motorways are "safer" because fewer people in number are killed on them.

I could go on.....

jab1
Seasoned Hero

@TeeGee you say above 'the current government' - I would suggest it applies to all governments, but there are some that can see through the smoke and mirrors, and call the administration out - sadly without effect, because the government decides, and once it's done that, that's it.

John