cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RIP Vacuum

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

RIP Vacuum

The Hoover upright coughed and sparked, made a nasty smell and blew its fuse.
I'm very tempted by the Gtech Air RAM, but are they really any good?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
17 REPLIES
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: RIP Vacuum

Sorry for your loss but if you are thinking about  a replacement I guess not too much of a loss. R.I.P regardless, life sucks.
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

Yep, but Petlews Hoover doesn't anymore. Wink
John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: M

life sucks.

Who needs a hoover then  ? ? ? ?  Cheesy

Seems to be a good idea, but at  £200.00 upwards it`s a lot of money .... Somehow I am not convinced that "all" that dust and stuff gets compacted..,like on the telly ads...   Obviously they try to show the "ultimate" ends of the product... that bear little resemblance to real life... and try to "baffle the gullible" with scientific explanations, which they know, the gullible will not question.
FreddieFlint
Grafter

Can't beat a Dyson
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Some nice chap put a review on you tube about his purchase of the replacement you are thinking about.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dIu0hVxKNs
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Dyson are powerful but expensive and if anything goes wrong they are expensive to fix.
Gtec are very good and lightweight, not many small fancy parts to it unlike the Dyson but you get about 20 minutes out of it before it needs charging.
Henry range of vacuum cleaners are fairly cheap in comparison to the above, very easy to repair as there is little in them except the motor which is easily replaced.
So I would put the Gtec first
Second the Henry and
no third as I would not purchase a Dyson again.
Above comments are based on having used all the above. Smiley
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Petlew
I'm very tempted by the Gtech Air RAM?

Make sure you get at least 8GB, preferably 16! Wink
Community Veteran

We have a G-Tech and it's brilliant. Beats a Dyson into a cocked hat!  Grin
It does everything (and more) that the ads say it does. It takes the fallout from our two Lhasas in its stride. Battery life is plenty for our mainly wood floors bungalow.
Everything does get compacted into two small receptacles by air pressure alone!
We also got the hand held jobbie. It's very powerful and gets into all the corners that an upright cant reach.
We bought a second set of filters so we could swop out the filters (2 in the upright, 1 in the hand-held) when necessary. They have to be washed through to clean and then we leave them overnight on a radiator to dry!
Geoff,
York.
ffox
Rising Star

Quote from: gleneagles
Dyson are powerful but expensive and if anything goes wrong they are expensive to fix.

The 2 Dysons I have owned both came with a 5-year parts and labour guarantee.  The one repair that has been needed was fixed by a Dyson engineer who came to my house.  It was free, as expected.
I don't argue with the fact that they are expensive to buy.  The cheapest place is from Dyson themselves - shop the internet for the lowest price then phone them.  In my case they matched that price and threw in £50 worth of attachments free.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Quote from: Petlew
I'm very tempted by the Gtech Air RAM, but are they really any good?

Funny you should mention this I too was considering one of these, but I'm not so gullible, and I'm skeptical as to it's true power. I have a Dyson upright but we always vacuum after dinner and it's tedious to get it out plug it in, fight around dining chairs with the cable then pack it all away again. I know Dyson do cordless and would have no issues buying one of them but a change would do no harm, provided it was comparable with it's mains operated counterpart.
Does anyone own one that can comment?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Oops... Mook... !    see post by Ned Ludd.. ( two posts previous to yours ! ! ) ...  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: FreddieFlint
Can't beat a Dyson

I can - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121815263842
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Quote from: shutter
Oops... Mook... !    see post by Ned Ludd.. ( two posts previous to yours ! ! ) ...  Wink

Embarrassed
Well having read that I may well buy them after all, beats the nightly fight with the corded Dyson.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Well, I against my better judgement succumbed to the advertising and purchased the Gtech Air ram. And I must admit to being openly impressed with its performance (so far) it picked up an impressive amount of embedded dust, that the deceased Hoover (only used last a couple of days ago) didn't get any where near picking up.
However, not all is sweetness and light, I do wonder if some of the plastic mouldings are 2nd's as some of them have a lot of strain/stress marks in them (well that's what they look like anyway). When I worked for another well known maker of vacuum cleaners, mouldings showing these sort of marks would never of got past first inspection let alone fitted to a saleable machine.

That aside, I'm very pleased with it. Some comments that its hard to push on carpet, can only refer to when the motor is not running (when it is hard) otherwise it glides effortlessly. Just lean it back onto the rear wheels to move it with the motor off.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.