Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

RI.P. Linda Bellingham.

Sad news, Linda Bellingham list her fight with cancer.  Lovely lady.  Cry
14 REPLIES
Fixes: 123

Re: RI.P. Linda Bellingham.

Sad news; more here.
It was only a week or so ago that I was reading that she had stopped treatment so that she could spend more time with her family and had hoped to survive till Christmas.
loved the Oxo ads Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

nadger
Rising Star

Reading BBC site I see that she decided to stop chemo because of what it was actually doing to her.
I can understand this as side effects can be vicious,
Feb 2009 I voluntarily had a course of accelerated chemo prior to surgery. It was supposed to be 3 sessions and I didn't make the third session as it would probably have killed me.
I was really relieved when consultant at Churchill ( Oxford) said they wouldn't risk any more treatment.
Lovely lady
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Lovely Linda Bellingham, a very good actress, but will be remember by certain generations as the OXO girl with that surprisingly sexy voice and look, don't know if it was really intentional, but I always found it so, but times were different then.
Sadly missed.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

A tragic loss! I'm shocked, I didn't even know she had cancer yet alone stopping treatment.
I still remember her in the oxo ads too and a comedy with that bloke from new tricks back in the late 80's (can't remember what it was called).
Very sad news.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 123

Second Thoughts and the sequel Faith in the Future both in the early 90's, though.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: 7up
A tragic loss! I'm shocked, I didn't even know she had cancer yet alone stopping treatment.
<snip>

same here
It seems to be the OXO ads that we remember the most
A household name that will be sadly missed  Cry
Community Veteran

So sad!  Cry Cry Cry
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

As petlew said she will be remembered for the OXO ads but she was also a very good actress. Sad news after a long illness.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Very sad she was a great actress.
Hard to imagine the suffering she must have gone through.
Far more money should go into cancer research as thousands of people  suffer as a result of it.
Community Veteran

In fairness the government did increase the budget for cancer along with heart problems. Cancer research has advanced tremendously in the past 10 years but there is still a long way to go.
The treatment for prostate cancer is one that has developed hugely in recent years.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@artmo,
Whilst I full accept what you say  I think even more money and better facilities should be available for suffers and their families.
You mention prostate cancer but the amount of money spent on it is small compared to other types of cancer and thousands of men die as a result of it.
Present tests such as  PSA tests are hit and miss as are biopsies which are uncomfortable to say the least.
Scans are not invasive procedures yet  most hospitals still stick to the older tests mentioned.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: artmo
In fairness the government did increase the budget for cancer along with heart problems. Cancer research has advanced tremendously in the past 10 years but there is still a long way to go.
The treatment for prostate cancer is one that has developed hugely in recent years.

That may well be the case but we're still lagging behind hugely. Look at the proton beam therapy that the kings went to with their little lad that we do not have here - and thats in a country that was once considered poor compared to the UK.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

@gleneagles, prostate cancer is one that has made the most strides in recent years. I'm not sure scans are available to detect it Undecided  I know my urology surgeon, who works both in the UK and US, still uses PSA and biopsies. These are still used in the US as well.
@7up, PBT is presently being introduced in the UK. It is available in a small number of private hospitals I believe and being installed in NHS facilities now.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

More sad news Sad