Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RFID wallets, yes or no.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

RFID wallets, yes or no.

With contactless cards becoming more widespread, are these RFID security wallets any good? 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: RFID wallets, yes or no.

are they any good? as in do they actually work? well the simple answer is yes they do work in that they do what they say they do, ie block RF communications for anything that is inside it.

do you need one? well that is an entirely different question.

personally, IMO, it would only be the tinfoil hat brigade that would go down this line.
you might as well go the whole hog and buy a portable wearable faraday cage. that'll keep you very safe indeed.
Community Veteran

I have used one for a few years. Can't say if they work but I've certainly not had my cards cloned.

On a recent TV program I saw a guy demonstrate how an unprotected card could have its data uplifted. The card was then put into a RFID wallet and it became impossible to read them.

Community Veteran

having the card inside one of those wallets isn't to stop it being cloned.
it's to stop someone using a terminal to initiate a charge on the card. ie contactless payment.

however, the person would need to be touching you with the device to make that happen (or have a device big enough that they'd be carrying it in a wheel barrow for it to work further away).

cloning a card still requires physical contact, usually being skimmed.

Community Veteran

In the TV prog I referred to the card was read by a scanner being waved near to it. No physical contact and a small scanner. This may answer your question:

RFID Cards

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

I was just asking a question on a subject that others might want to ask or indeed find interesting.

A member of the tin hat brigade? I certainly hope not..

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

......and an interesting question it is. If you view the video in my link you will see how it is easy the scam is to operate.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

artmo wrote:

In the TV prog I referred to the card was read by a scanner being waved near to it. No physical contact and a small scanner. This may answer your question:

RFID Cards

Must be said i did wonder what chenks was on about.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

i refer you to my comment regarding how close the reader needs to be.
the video confirms that.

the reader in the video in virtually touching the area where the card is.
if someone doesn't notice someone doing that then they deserve to be scammed quite frankly, just in the same way that if you give you card to someone to pay for something and they take it out of your sight.

Community Veteran

I think you need to get out moreWink There are numerous occasions when people brush up alongside you in shops, on the tube etc.

How do you protect your cards as a matter of interest?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I guess if you were on the tube or train and packed in like sardines it would not be easy to spot someone cloning cards as it's virtually impossible not to have contact with someone in those situations.