cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RBS

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

RBS

Seems RBS have had a system failure with over half a million payments failing to enter accounts, even worse some of these issues will not be resolved before weekend.
Not the first time a bank has had a IT problem and unlikely to be the last but there seems to have been a number of similar failures recently
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: RBS

Dang it I wondered where that Euromillions Jackpot payment had got to.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
nanotm
Pro

what I don't understand is that the guy they had on the news yesterday morning said "we have fixed the issue that prevent the payments from going to the correct accounts but it will be some time before we figure out where the money went and then return it to the correct accounts" which would intimate that the payment transfers were diverted from the correct recipient accounts to other places and will need to be found before it end up where it should have gone, sounds like he's saying there system got infiltrated and the cash stolen.
I don't understand why the bank has refused to upgrade the ancient cobol  based accounts system to something more modern and secure despite several similar indications there systems had been infiltrated, nobody would care if  they closed account access world wide for 48 hours to perform the changeover just so long as they advertised the fact no account access would be possible in advance.
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I don't think the money was pinched nano.. sounds more like they had the money come in, recorded, the system didn't do its thing properly and never put the money in the accounts it was meant to and then failed to record what was meant to go where.
From what i can imagine, RBS have a big lump of money sat there that they have no idea what to do with as the records got screwed.
Must admit though it doesn't look good for the RBS..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nanotm
Pro

yeah it was just the head of some part of the bank who said that they had to figure out where the money had gone that makes me think its been diverted away from the correct place, and strangely that's exactly what they said when it became apparent that a few years back they managed to make payments to people but not all of the money went to the right place (turned out that some random figure between 1p and £10 was diffy from half the customer receipts) and someone in a similar position said pretty much the exact same thing about the money that had failed to arrive in the correct place.
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Simply explained. They are a bunch of Wallies.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

A Well paid bunch of Wallies.
Smiley