cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RBS Bonus payments (amd other banks)

MOGO
Grafter

RBS Bonus payments (amd other banks)

How about if you have an account with the RBS (or any other state sponsored bank) as an act of protest you close your account and invest in a more ethical bank or building society.
Remember it's our money they are using to reward the failures of the fat cats  Angry
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: RBS Bonus payments (amd other banks)

Quote from: MOGO
as an act of protest you close your account and invest in a more ethical bank or building society.

And er! which one would that be MOGO? I suspect the list of possibilities is a very short one.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Quote from: MOGO
Remember it's our money they are using to reward the failures of the fat cats   Angry

It's our money regardless of whether you have an account at the bank - the government won't reduce anyone's taxes because they don't want to pay the fat cats... sadly.
[i]It's the PlusNet Way[/i]
techguy
Grafter

Maybe the Co-op?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

So IF I close my account..... will the fat cats loose their bonus?    I doubt it..... ipso facto..... pointless exercise !  Cheesy
techguy
Grafter

Saw something on the BBC news last night where Nick Robinson was outside RBS HQ and apparently asked a female banker "do you deserve a bonus?"
Apparently the reply was "Yes I deserve a bonus, I've worked hard for it, after all I only earn £95,000"
StickyMick
Grafter

^ Nick Robinson should have asked  "And what about those that only earn £15,000 - £20,000, and still have to bail out the banks?"
Things are getting pretty messy now: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7882119.stm
Community Veteran

Quote from: techguy
Maybe the Co-op?

Wonder if they pay a divi?
StickyMick
Grafter

I do believe Barclays didn't receive any of the bail out cash.
techguy
Grafter

Quote from: artmo

Don't think so as they are mutual aren't they?
Anyway started to bank with their Internet bank division, smile as its a lot easier when working shifts than having to sometimes go into a branch to do this and that and can securly mail them through their site if there are any queries so no holding on the phone  Smiley but never had to wait long when have had to ring them once or twice so wouldn't move banks now.
techguy
Grafter

Quote from: StickyMick

No Barclays didn't and have made a profit.
To be fair to the guy, their Chief Exec John Varley has said he won't pay himself a bonus and has admitted the industry has played its part which is more than the others will do I bet.
Shame their customer service is abysmal.
Community Veteran

Quote from: StickyMick

Barclays decided not to take government money but arranged their money from the Middle east.  Clever when you think about it as it gives them access to a lot of business opportunities.
Techguy, when you mention Smile I assume you mean they are owned by the Co-op  and not Barclays.
techguy
Grafter

Yes artmo
Put the quote into the wrong one but corrected that now so hopefully the thread reads properly.
Sorry
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: techguy
Quote from: artmo

Don't think so as they are mutual aren't they?

The Co-op divi is 3p or 5p in the pound on the money spent. Not sure what the exact figure is nowadays. Knew that way back it was 5p in the pound. Believe it's an area thing as in the area I was born and still live in it has been money where other areas they changed to stamps. About 2 years ago it changed to a Dividend Card

Edit: Believe I was watching a police drama a couple of weeks ago were the divi number was mentioed and the detectives still remember their parents divi number from childhood. So can I and that was over 5 decades ago.
techguy
Grafter

Still think they are head and shoulders about the big banks