cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R.I.P Stanislav Petrov

Steve
Pro

R.I.P Stanislav Petrov

The man who probably saved the world from Mutual Assured Destruction ( MAD ) passed away in May 2017 at his home near Moscow.

Soon after midnight on 26 September, 1983, duty officer Stanislav Petrov was in charge of an early warning radar system in a bunker near Moscow when computer readouts suggested several missiles had been launched from the US towards the USSR.

The protocol for the Soviet military would have been to launch a retaliatory nuclear attack, but Mr Petrov decided not to alert his superiors.

"I had all the data [to suggest there was an ongoing missile attack]. If I had sent my report up the chain of command, nobody would have said a word against it," he told the BBC's russian service in 2013

However, he suspected a computer error, believing a first-strike nuclear attack by the US would likely involve hundreds of simultaneous missile launches.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/stanislav-petrov-dead-soviet-officer-nuclear-war-1983...

1 REPLY
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: R.I.P Stanislav Petrov

In that time period there were probably many systems of doom where the operators knew to switch it on and off again when alarming messages were generated.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.