Re: R.I.P Neil Armstrong

Sad day, one giant loss for mankind.
An inspiring example of humility.
Community Veteran

An inspiration to a generation.
Community Veteran

Here's a story I have heard many times about Neil Armstrong landing on the moon and always enjoy it.
Mr. Gorski
kmilburn
Grafter

And here's the truth about that story....  http://www.snopes.com/quotes/mrgorsky.asp.
GrahamC
Grafter

The Apollo project was extraordinary and the culmination of the space race that included the Gemini and Mercury programs which started in 1959. I remember well watching the BBC coverage at the time of the Apollo 11 mission and staying up all night to watch Neil Armstrong step on to the moon.
Armstrong was my first real-life hero.
RIP Neil.
Apollo 11 Partial Restoration HD Videos
Community Veteran

Quote from: kmilburn
And here's the truth about that story.... 

Not according to this article:

When Apollo Mission Astronaut Neil Armstrong first walked on the moon, he not only gave his famous "one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind" statement but followed it by several remarks, usual com traffic between him, the other astronauts and Mission Control. Just before he re-entered the lander, however, he made the enigmatic remark "Good luck, Mr. Gorsky."
    Many people at NASA thought it was a casual remark concerning some rival Soviet Cosmonaut. However, upon checking, there was no Gorsky in either the Russian or American space programs. Over the years many people questioned Armstrong as to what the "Good luck, Mr. Gorsky" statement meant, but Armstrong always just smiled.
    On July 5, 1995 (in Tampa Bay, FL) while answering questions following a speech, a reporter brought up the 26-year-old question to Armstrong. This time he finally responded. Mr. Gorsky had finally died and so Neil Armstrong felt he could answer the question.
    When he was a kid, he was playing baseball with a friend in the backyard. His friend hit a fly ball which landed in the front of his neighbor's bedroom windows. His neighbors were Mr. & Mrs. Gorsky.
    As he leaned down to pick up the ball, young Armstrong heard Mrs. Gorsky shouting at Mr. Gorsky, "Oral sex! You want oral sex?! You'll get oral sex when the kid next door walks on the moon!"
    True story.

I made no claim the story was right or wrong other than it is often repeated.
kmilburn
Grafter

Unfortunately with stories like this, when repeated often enough,  people believe it's true!
And as mentioned on snopes,
Any doubts about the veracity of this legend are laid to rest by the NASA transcripts of the Apollo 11 mission, which record no such statement having been made by Armstrong.

Community Veteran

As i said, I don't know if the story is true - and neither do you.  It is, however, a lovely story about a great man who should be remembered for his achievements at this time.
GrahamC
Grafter

What's more disturbing is the number of conspiracy theories that still persist.
If the information presented on QI is to be believed, 6% of Americans and 25% of Britons think the moon landings were faked  Huh
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Remember watching this interview circ 1970:-

Community Veteran

Quote from: GrahamC
6% of Americans and 25% of Britons think the moon landings were faked  Huh

At least the members of this forum are more intelligent than the norm otherwise we would have had a conspiracy theorist posting on this thread by now.

RPMozley
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Shhhhhh..... Don't give 'em any ideas!  Cheesy
Fixes: 124

No, no, no...
It did really happen....
...I remember watching it live on TV Cool

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still