cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quoting from previous post

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Quoting from previous post

We seem to be getting a large number of complete quotes from the previous post recently, even PN staff have been doing it, is it still against forum rules and how do we stop the seemingly impossible?
54 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Quoting from previous post

Yes, it is still against the rules. As for how to stop it, people not doing it themselves and using the report to mod link whenever they see it would seem as good a strategy as any to me.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

click on "report to moderator" Roll eyes
Assos gave the long version ! ! Roll eyes
N/A

Not really community support IMO1 so I'm going to move this one to Chit-Chat.
1In My Opinion
Superuser
Superuser

Re: Seen written in the dust on the back of a vehicle:

[Moderators note by Daniel (Assos), Full quote of previous post removed as it is not needed and contravenes the Forum Rules.]

[ sigh ]
Maybe it did but I don't see the especial merit of removing a single 31-word sentence and replacing it with a 21-word blue-moderator-slap-on-the-wrist.
Maybe someone could look at amending the "Forum Rules" to allow re-posting of single sentences in such circumstances? We all have different posting styles, guys Smiley
Penny Rollo * Force 9 from 17/02/98 * PlusNet from 2000 onwards
Project HappyChild - free maths worksheets, free French-English
worksheets and 12 other languages
personal site www.pennymidasrollo.plus.com
N/A

Incidentally, it was removed as somebody used the 'report to moderator' link, rather than because Dan felt it ought to go.
Don't you think the rules are complicated enough without adding extra clauses?
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: James_H
it was removed as somebody used the 'report to moderator' link, rather than because Dan felt it ought to go

Roll eyes
reassured though that Dan wouldn't have removed it otherwise.
though with the rules as they currently stand, the person "reporting this misdemeanour" was doing what is currently "the right thing" also  Roll eyes
Quote from: James_H
Don't you think the rules are complicated enough without adding extra clauses?

Actually I think this single change would be beneficial - quoting just-one-sentence would rarely make a post much longer and clarifies what is being replied to.  A block minimal 'single-sentence-quote-entitlement' should be allowable under any circumstances and would (a) reduce the amount of posts being "reported" (b) reduce load on the moderators (c) reduce visible moderator involvement.
I think the mods do a good job here on balance, especially now it's much more 'hands off' these days - but I've seen a fair few zaps-for-quoting-previous-whole-posts and a single-sentence-exception might not be a bad compromise.
James
Grafter

<--- Agrees with Penny.
There are certainly instances where it is perfectly acceptable to quote a full post, especially if that post is short and contains the point in its entireity.
*waves at Penny*
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: Jameseh
*waves at Penny*

* waves back *
Appreciate the support, James Smiley

Community Veteran

Jameseh and Penny: to be clear, the transgression wasn't regarding quoting a full post, it was regarding quoting a full directly preceding post. When people do this, I (as the general forum user I am now) find this a little OTT, because it means I'm being directed to read the same thing twice for no real purpose. If your post directly proceeds the post you're referring to, you don't really need a quote because a reader will just automatically read your post as a reply to the previous post, assuming they're reading the posts in sequence.
Although actually, that does make me wonder - what do people who use things like the 'unread posts' facility think of the quoting situation? Maybe they'd appreciate a quote in a post even if it was from the directly preceding post... hmm, maybe something for the mods to think about. (I never use the 'unread posts' page so I can't comment myself.)
Edit: Perhaps this discussion would be better off in the thread pierre_pierre has made about the subject...
Community Veteran

Quote from: Be3G
Edit: Perhaps this discussion would be better off in the thread pierre_pierre has made about the subject...

*light appears above head* That's what Jameseh was haranguing me about on MSN :p
Agreed. I'll sort it out now.
EDIT: All done, I've split the OT posts out and merged them in here.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I use Unread Posts the majority of the time and I've never found the lack of a quote of the preceding post annoying. Having clicked New to get to the first unread post it's easy to just scroll the mousewheel to read the preceding post if required.
Now, if you are getting notifications by email, that's a different matter as the preceding post is available when reading the email!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: Be3G
... If your post directly proceeds the post you're referring to, you don't really need a quote because a reader will just automatically read your post as a reply to the previous post, assuming they're reading the posts in sequence.
Although actually, that does make me wonder - what do people who use things like the 'unread posts' facility think of the quoting situation?

Actually I did write the original "offending post" without a quote, first of all.  But then I added it (only one sentence, after all) precisely because it might not be read in sequence.  There are quite a few ways this can happen - someone clicks through on the "last post" and then has to scroll up to see what the earlier post says, or other posts have intervened, or pagebreaks have intervened - but, most significantly, and the reason I chose to include the quote on this occasion, was that on "topic notifications" (the e-mailed sort) all you see is what is actually in a single post (for each notification).
You guys who are here all the time / very regularly, grasp ongoing conversations much more easily than those of us who are here very intermittently, or who catch up on bits-of-things via clicking through to the forums on a small selection of the notifications that arrive (not all of which get read, due to time constraints).
A rule-change permitting a minimal single-sentence-quote under all circumstances would just enable a little more visible cohesion for the vast proportion of forum users who don't have the time or opportunity to keep tabs on everything that's going on.
(really gotta be elsewhere now)
Penny.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

But then I added it (only one sentence, after all) precisely because it might not be read in sequence.  There are quite a few ways this can happen - someone clicks through on the "last post" and then has to scroll up to see what the earlier post says, or other posts have intervened,

there is no problem in full quotes if there is an intervening post, and you must know if there is one because the machine tells you when you are posting and gives you the opertunity to alter your answer, the complaint is purely full quotes of the preceding quote.
ChrisL
Grafter

If I can just st.r the sh.t for the fun of it, you don't always need even a partial quote of an immediately-preceeding post. For instance, Penny didn't need the quote here, did she?
Quote from: Penny
Quote from: Jameseh
*waves at Penny*

* waves back *

Though heaven forbid I would ever get the mods involved in this!