Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quote " This is not the end........ "

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Quote " This is not the end........ "

".......Winston Churchill Quotes ... Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning. Winston Churchill."  ( courtesy of google search).

but it seems a bit of a "stupid" end...

Apparently, on  ( or even before )  June 21... we will be (almost) back to normal, with all social distancing rules/regs repealed. meaning you can go to the pub... restaurant... tea room... and sit in a group, with no social distancing...   meet as many people as you want... you can hug them...kiss them.. (and do other stuff as well, presumably)...

BUT the rule of wearing a mask, will remain in place....   HUH  ?   What ? ? ? 

so... where will you be required, by law, to wear a mask...

and .

.(.bearing in mind all those places just mentioned,  where a mask is not required,...)

what will be the point of wearing a mask, anyway ????

7 REPLIES 7
jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 72

Re: Quote " This is not the end........ "

Saw the story headline, @shutter , but didn't read it. Seems like standard HMG doublespeak to me, and makes no sense, as you say.

John
idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@shutter wrote:

Stop colds! Since this pandemic rose its ugly head and I started wearing a mask, I haven't had a cold or even a sniffle of one. Pretty good going in my book.

Unfortunately, with all the various mutations of Covid coming along, I suspect we'll soon be back at square one. Probably end up like flu, expect it to come at least once a year. Jabs anyone?

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Once this is all over and we are back to some semblance of normality I expect there will be a grudging acceptance of that dreaded phrase 'herd immunity'. We'll not hear it said from high sources via the media, but it's what all of us live with all of the time and continuous mask wearing, hand washing and social distancing will to do little to educate our own immunity system. 

This might not be the end, but it will be the end of being overly cautious.  

The only new normal I can foresee is having those extra once a year jabs you mention @idonno 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

@idonno wrote:

@shutter wrote:

Stop colds! Since this pandemic rose its ugly head and I started wearing a mask, I haven't had a cold or even a sniffle of one. Pretty good going in my book.

That's what I was expecting to happen but my experience has been less positive.  I hardly ever get colds but over the past year I've had several, albeit very minor, ones.  What kind of mask are you wearing?

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

Just the bog standard disposable face mask. I have to wear them all day long at work as well - changed after 4-5 hours.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

I thought 8th May some things are supposed to relax.

I ended up going to the pub the day they opened as some friends wanted to go. I don't mind (well for me as long as I am getting beer from somewhere I don't generally complain).

Though wouldn't eating and drinking (the sort of usual things you do in a pub) be a bit difficult with a face mask?

Now imagine what a romantic date that would be:

"You've got a beautiful smile face mask!" 😆

(Sorry I can't help myself).

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 31

@Alex wrote:

I thought 8th May some things are supposed to relax.

17 May in England, Scotland and Wales, though the details vary between nations.

The older I get, the earlier it gets late.

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N