cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quirky Haynes manual

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quirky Haynes manual

I always buy a Haynes workshop manual for the cars I buy and have a small collection.
But Haynes don't just "do" cars and motorbikes etc. They also produce manuals as diverse as the Fender Stratocaster guitar (excellent) washing machines, WW2 aircraft (Spitfire, Lancaster, ME109) and numerous other "off-beat" subjects.
I was given a book-token for my birthday recently, and today was wandering round WH Smiths with the token burning a hole in my pocket.
And then I spotted the latest (published this month) a must have Haynes manual...The NASA Space Shuttle.
If you're interested in the shuttle this is a must, its very comprehensive, with oodles of  photographs in areas not usually seen. It covers engines, launch pads, crawler transporter and many other fascinating aspects of the whole shuttle operation.
Thoroughly recommended.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Quirky Haynes manual

PS. just had a look at the Haynes manual website and, one of their quirkiest manuals must be; The Starship Enterprise
A must for Trekkies everywhere!!

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Petlew
The NASA Space Shuttle.

Isn’t it the 30th Anniversary of 1st flight tomorrow, understand BBC have a documentary on Iplayer
(also 50 years since Yuri Gagarin 1st flight)
Fixes: 47

I, naturally have the Haynes Strat manual and a good read it is too Smiley
Hmmmm....NCC1701 Cool
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys
Isn’t it the 30th Anniversary of 1st flight tomorrow

After consulting my shiny new Haynes manual; I can confirm the first shuttle test flight (Columbia mission STS-1) was indeed today (12/04/81)
Was it really 30 years ago!!...I hesitate to exclaim; "doesn't time fly"
The first mission flight (STS-2) was 11/12/81
Next question please...

pierre_pierre
Grafter

and even more happened on 12th April
April 12 was already a huge day in space history twenty years before the launch of the first shuttle mission. On that day in 1961, Russian cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin (left, on the way to the launch pad) became the first human in space, making a 108-minute orbital flight in his Vostok 1 spacecraft

nadger
Rising Star

I'm still trying to get my head round Petlew doing a space walk holding a Haynes manual in one hand and a mole wrench in the other  Crazy
Community Veteran

Just call me "Scottie"
But I'll trade the mole wrench for a sonic screwdriver.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I lost the plot with Haynes years ago. They did one for our first car (Renault megane) which frankly wasn't very helpful.. remove this as described in section 4, jump back to section 6, then 5, follow paragraph 7 and you'll have your car in bits. Reassembly is the reverse of removal.  Shocked
For my current car they don't even do a manual. I couldn't believe it when I found that after 10 years it was on their list as being under consideration. After being released 10 years ago theres not much point having it under consideration now is there.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Must admit I have little faith in their current workshop manuals.
Years ago they were very good and I have a fair collection of them but these days they don't seem to contain the same level of detail and there was less jumping about in chapters as mentioned by Okrzynska.
On a minor note the quality of the paper used is very poor compared to years ago and is more likely to tare.
Community Veteran

I had to replace a bulb in a ford Ka speedo a while back. Haynes manual says it clearly.. undo this and that, pull out the unit and just unplug the speedo cable.
Well.. everything came apart easily except the speedo cable. I had to literally ring up Haynes, go through to their techs and ask them "How on earth do i get this cable of then pal?" He then broke the mystery.. pull it sideways at the same time as pulling backwards and it will unclick. Oddly they seemed to think that this vital information wouldn't be needed in the manual i was looking in  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Must agree there gleneagles. I have manuals for early Sierra's that included excellent scale drawings and diagrams of all major parts and photo sequence's of many service operations. It was no idle boast that a car could be stripped down and rebuilt using an early Haynes manual.
The manual for my current Toyota Avensis contains little more than written descriptions of major parts with practically no diagrams at all. You'd be hard pushed to raise the bonnet using this manual. Little more than an extended owners book as supplied with the car. It does though still contain the very useful full wiring diagrams.
The NASA Shuttle manual is printed on excellent quality paper.

Community Veteran

I gotta say Petlew i think you hit the nail on the head there. With both manuals i've used i was really left in the dark with the pictures in the manuals. When someone printed me off a load of stuff from autodata for my car i couldn't believe the difference between autodata and haynes.
Autodata CD is definitely worth its money if you can find one cheap on ebay.
Community Veteran

In Haynes defence -should they need it- I would guess they are highly reliant on motor manufacturers supplying much of the diagram/drawing material in the first place. If they decline then a manual is going to be a lot less useful.

Community Veteran

Well in the manual i had for the megane they explicitly stated that they had taken the car apart themselves and rebuilt it. I would reckon that being the case they've got tight on the cost of printing photos because there were very few of them for the process of replacing a head gasket and consequently the timing got fubar'd.
It's all very well mentioning the names of things you need to undo, replace, etc but unless you show the person what they're looking at then they've got no chance really and that was the very point of haynes as i understood it - to guide you through a DIY repair.