Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick fixes topic or unrelated matters

DE5T1NY
Rising Star

Quick fixes topic or unrelated matters

Hello Everyone

Is there a topic in this board so members can help each other to fix or help/advice from others within it. Did find a "Dishwasher help needed" don't think it suits.

The reason being I sought help on another thread and got help from another member (RobPN) about disabling adblocker, when I clicked on my avatar to see the update messages I noticed that I had been mentioned in the same thread by the member above and another member, but I noticed @ before my username, I just copy and paste the username which turns it into a url link, does the member still receive notice by this message ?

Second reason for this is I don't like posting off topic in others threads.

Good luck

26 REPLIES 26
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Re: Quick fixes topic or unrelated matters

@DE5T1NY    To get that to appear,....  just use the shift & @  keys.   a drop down list usually appears, and you just select which one you want..

If the person is not listed, you have to type the first couple of letters of the person`s avatar name, and a list of "similar" will appear for you to choose the correct one.

If you need help on ANY subject... not covered by the many on the forums in general.... posting a query on here, usually results in someone giving you advice... 

Note.... All advice given is up to you whether you take it, and apply it at your own risk .!

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@shutter 

Hence the term Advice rather than Advise. Smiley

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
DE5T1NY
Rising Star

Hello @shutter 

To get your username above I had to hit the quote and copy & paste your url link then leave this page to clear the quote and start all over again. Thumbs_Up

Tried your @ trick thanks again, no more 20 minute prepairing messages

But if I or anyone else want to help/Advise another members but don't want to be seen to be post building or going off topic on other threads, if we post here and add the username of the said member seeking help/Advise would they receive the Notification Feed and be drawn to this topic away from other threads.

Thanks @Minivanman not been able to have a proper education from 10 years old does have its problems Thumbs_Up

Good luck

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Best advice I ever had was along the lines of never taking it from a used car salesman - in other words, anybody with a vested interest. Mortgage broker, insurance salesman... politician.

P.S. As for education, don't worry about it. The only thing I left school with at 15 was an inferiority complex and as for those letters I eventually gained after my name, do you know what they were worth? Nothing.

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@Minivanman wrote:

P.S. As for education, don't worry about it. The only thing I left school with at 15 was an inferiority complex

and.....

lots of half filled homework books I shall never read...     a skool cap,...... some p.e. kit, and a pair of real leather footy boots, that I will never wear again, as long as I live......

DE5T1NY
Rising Star

@Minivanman wrote:

Best advice I ever had was along the lines of never taking it from a used car salesman - in other words, anybody with a vested interest. Mortgage broker, insurance salesman... politician.

Hello @Minivanman 

You would have liked my advise at one of my last jobs( I googled to made sure thats the one) beleive it or not, I use to be a paid moderator for a major Forex company, I had to advice other traders the best way to study the markets in English, Hebrew, Arabic, Punjabi boards (Thats when google was best used by myself, mostly through their translator)

The members even got paid 1 cent a post as it promoted the company on google, I even help program the translator into the forum to make life easier for myself.

Good luck

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@DE5T1NY wrote:

Hello @shutter 

To get your username above I had to hit the quote and copy & paste your url link then leave this page to clear the quote and start all over again. Thumbs_Up

Tried your @ trick thanks again, no more 20 minute prepairing messages

@DE5T1NY 

And maybe no more unintentionally replying to yourself!  Wink

i.e.

Capture.PNG

From this postWink

DE5T1NY
Rising Star

Hello @RobPN 

I spotted that myself after I read over the post after 20 minute editing time run out, did you still get the notification or just stumble across the post while reading the thread ?

At is one of the reason I thought is thread might be beneficial (give up on the Help/Ad for awhile) to others:

Example: Like the other day some of us had a debate/laugh about the editing time not being long enough, I tested it and seen the edit tab is no longer available after 20 minutes (did think it 30m at the time), but I don't want to go off topic by posting the results of my test in the said topic, so if it ever came up in any other topic I or anyone else type in the username (url) link on this thread they could see the results here.

Good luck

RobPN
Hero

@DE5T1NY wrote:

Hello @RobPN 

... did you still get the notification or just stumble across the post while reading the thread ?

@DE5T1NY 

No, I didn't get a notification that you'd mentioned me because, err, you didn't!

I did get a notification that you'd thanked my post to which you had replied.

I saw it because I went back to the thread for other reasons.

I don't get a notification that someone has replied to any particular thread because I've got 'Automatically subscribe to threads I reply to' turned off.

I just checked and the post in question has now been edited by @Mav (mod) for contravening the forum rule of quoting the preceding post in full, and your erroneous self-reply removed in the process.  Wink

DE5T1NY
Rising Star

Hello @RobPN 

Thanks for getting my mistake fixed for me Thumbs_Up I don't like using quotes so thanks to the great help you and others have give me on this thread to get around that quote thing to get usernames I'll not need to quote and forget to remove afterwards again. Embarrassed

I'll have to re-read the rules and try to understand them a bit better Thumbs_Up

Good luck

DE5T1NY
Rising Star

Hello Everyone

After a lot of googling I've Just worked out the quote rule and checked my posts seems I'll broke the rule a lots of time. Huh

I've reported another one to the mod to have fixed or dealt with, can it be done in a job lot batch ?

Good luck

RobPN
Hero

@DE5T1NY wrote:

Hello @RobPN 

Thanks for getting my mistake fixed for me ...

@DE5T1NY 

Thanks for the compliment, but just like Billy Connolly said when he messed his pants, "It wasn't me, a big boy ( @Mav ) did it and ran away."

(@ 3:20+)

DE5T1NY
Rising Star

Hello @RobPN 

As long as its fixed, can't listen to the story, (no ear phones). Thanks again for trying to help anyway Thumbs_Up

I've got to use your link to get to the "rules" is there a tab that I can use to get it quicker.

Good luck

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 19

@DE5T1NY Some advice....

If you reply to someone and mention their name then the said person receives

1) an email to say that they have been mentioned by you

2) another email containing the text of your reply on the topic which they are presumably following.

So the @xxxxxxxxxx option is best used sparingly. Thumbs_Up

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."