cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions and answers:

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Questions and answers:

There are a lot of well read and knowledgeable members on these forums, no doubt bursting to share all that useless information they've had bottled up for years

A number of daily newspapers run a Q&A column, and at least one radio station devotes a weekly 1 hour slot to much the same thing.

I'm mildly surprised that it hasn't been tried in this forum before. Or maybe it has and I've missed it.

Questions must be morally clean, motoring questions banned, NO Google (or other search engine) link answers allowed.

So just to start things off:

Q. how are artificial sponges made?

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Questions and answers:

With a machine Tongue

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I suppose I should have expected that

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Arti fishously of course

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Q. how are artificial sponges made?

By allowing urethanes to polymerise (you can look up the reaction yourself!) in a mould of a suitable shape (car seat cushion, bath sponge, etc) and at the same time either bubbling CO2 through the liquid while it cures, or heating it up to boiling point so that it vaporises. Both will make a sponge, the latter a rigid one, otherwise known as foam insulation. Foam spray cans contain CO2 under pressure which comes out of solution to make bubbles, and they are usually rigid because of the specific urethane chemicals used in the reaction.

So there! Smiley

2u2me
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Don`t know, but the Romans knew how to make use of the natural one`sThumbs Up