cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question to the mods: Quoting PMs to other people?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Question to the mods: Quoting PMs to other people?

Is this allowed?

Reason I ask is that I have reason to believe that somebody here has possibly quoted one of my PMs to another member on this forum and used it out of context to make it look like I'm taking sides in a spat between them both.

Stuff thats posted publicly is fair game but using peoples PMs to other members is out of order.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Question to the mods: Quoting PMs to other people?

As an ex mod

It isn't banned partly because nobody thought of it but mainly because it would be impossible to monitor as mods do not have access to PM's

Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

@7up Where has the "out of context" quote been made that you've become aware of it?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@Oldjim, I'm pleased to hear you confirmed it, but I thought it was the case anyway.

Albeit, there is nothing to stop either side of a PM exchange copy/pasting all, or, a section to anyone else.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 38

Because PMs are Private Messages I would expect the content of them to be private to the sender and addressee unless the parties involved agree otherwise. But that's by polite convention rather than rule.

The Forum Rules mention circumstances when a PM might be copied to a moderator for review but that shouldn't mean anything appears in the public domain.

David
Fixes: 125

As per the Forum Rules

Personal details are not to be posted on these forums, this includes the content of private message unless permission is obtained from all parties.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still