cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question Time

Community Veteran

Question Time

I always like BBC Question Time on Thursday nights. Normally some good debate from both sides of an argument.
This week the programme took a dive. One of the guests was Russell Brand. He proved himself a complete idiot totally unable to argue his case and had to resort to personal attacks on the other panelists. He did his cause no good whatsoever. 
Did anyone else see the programme?
59 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Question Time

Don't watch it as it just a shadow of its former self but the report in the Telegraph is surprisingly damning
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/nigel-farage/11287051/Russell-Brand-v-Nigel-Farage-on-BBC-Q...
Fixes: 47

I haven't seen it yet as I'm on Granddad duties.
However when I heard last week that Brand was to be on it already lowered the quality of the program for me as I can't stand they guy.
I'll watch it later on iPlayer.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

@Oldjim, All the reviews I've read take a similar stance.
I have to agree with you about the quality of the programme. It has certainly gone down hill in recent years, which is a pity.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: artmo
This week the programme took a dive. One of the guests was Russell Brand.

Oh shock and horror! A pleb who has made it and dared to speak the truth about a woman who mentioned the word 'cock' multiple times in parliament for a dare and then criticise the rest of the mob for their antics including playing candy crush while on the job. How dare people expect politicians to do an honest job or try to hold them accountable!
Honestly artmo, what is your problem with people who are not part of the upper classes?
You may not like Russell Brand but he did point out some very good points about the people at the top of our society. If you can't accept his comments then you need to take a look at yourself because I am telling you, his views are echoed by people all over the country.
If you think the quality of the show has gone downhill purely because they're starting to listen to the voices of the common people then something is wrong. Even David Cameron said we're all in this together remember!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

If you happened to be interested in listening to Russell Brands opinions, he has a YouTube channel where he does a daily ten minutes summary of current news and his interpretation of how the British and American public are being influenced and brainwashed by corporate greed, and how the media bias stories to promote their own agenda.
YouTube : Russell Brand - "The Trews"  (the truth behind the news)

As it happens I don't particularly agree with his ideology, but he often makes one or two interesting points that are worthy of consideration.
Regarding "Question Time", Brand disagrees with everything that Farage stands for, so it was always going to be car crash TV.
Embarrassed
Community Veteran

Purleigh I'm with you on that.
I don't particularly like the guy, I think he's a bit of an arrogant **** if i'm honest but he did make some very good points on the show that made for uncomfortable listening and questions for the political and rich classes in this country.
If those at the top can't handle the truths that he pointed out about how they're taking the mick then they shouldn't be doing the jobs they do.
Admittedly I'd be scared stiff if he actually stood for parliament. He's too much of a loose cannon. Imagine someone like him deciding to stand up to Vladimir Putin... The bright flashes of light would be visible in the next solar system..  Crazy
Community Veteran

I'm not a Farage supporter but have to say he handled himself very well and refused to stoop to Brand's level. He adopted a statesmanlike approach in all his comments.
Community Veteran

I'll agree with you there artmo, I thought he remained reasonably professional even if i don't like him much.
I support UKIP in that they're making a good point - the EU doesn't work well for us anymore however I don't like Farage himself much.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Mr Brand is a punk. The "Manuel Incident" clearly illustrated his ethics.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Punk maybe but he's a punk with a voice and he's not afraid to challenge so many things that are wrong with this country.
Personally I don't like the bloke but i do like how he is not afraid to stand up and point out what is wrong.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

The guy in the programme that challenged Brand to stand for Parliament summed up my attitude to the guy.

He inhabits social media and sits on the side sniping.  Angry
The people who support him and his call not to vote need to grow up and get involved in main stream politics or shut up!  Lips are sealed
I vote, like a large proportion of my generation, and my interests are my pensions, my investments and my property. My group will continue to call the shots until someone organises enough voters to change the policy.  Cool
Brand is a noisy irrelevance at present    Crazy
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Fixes: 125

Quote from: PeterLoftus
I managed to watch about half of it...
"Empty vessels make the most noise"

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Brand does makes some good points but someone needs to have a quiet word with him to tell him to quit the comic delivery when he makes them.
Community Veteran

Quote from: PeterLoftus
I vote, like a large proportion of my generation, and my interests are my pensions, my investments and my property. My group will continue to call the shots until someone organises enough voters to change the policy.   Cool

So you're more worried about your stuff than your kids, grand kids, their kids etc? - You're happy to let the younger generations pay for it and work 'harder' (as artmo would put it) to keep themselves in a country that is one big rat race?
Thats why it would be pointless for Brand to even think about standing. It's well known that our population is aging and that there are far more people in the elder generations than there are in the younger generations.
The elder generations like to claim they've worked incredibly 'hard' and thus deserve their pensions etc (which to a point i do actually agree with) and they're more than happy to let us younger generations be sacrificed for the political mistakes of their own generations. We then get preached at about how we younger people should take part in politics and do something about if if we don't like it?  Crazy
1) There aren't enough people in the younger generations to overthrow the views of the elder generations
2) Pot, Kettle, Black. The elder generations clearly didn't get politically involved enough to stop this country sliding so why is it right for them to then preach to us?
I'm very sorry if this offends however many of the elder generations in this country are misguided, think they deserve everything and that the young should take the blame because this country is in a huge mess inherited FROM the elder generations.
This issue about the rich / poor divide isn't going away anytime soon now that we're in the electronic age so those of you who think you can keep ignoring it and living your happy lives while there are young people out there in the deep stuff, homeless, evicted etc need to take a good look at yourselves. You can't continue behaving like everything is fine when there is so much wrong with the world and so many people are suffering.