cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query over DVD player!

jmd
Grafter

Query over DVD player!

Since getting my new HDTV I have not bothered with my DVDs.  However, thought I would try a couple over last couple of days.  But, they only show as widescreen on this TV?  and the TV is not set to widescreen.  Can ordinary DVDs only be viewed like that on a HDTV?
7 REPLIES
johpal
Grafter

Re: Query over DVD player!

Generally, most modern TVs will switch automatically from widescreen (16:9) to display older format (4:3) correctly.
DVD players can be set to 16:9, letterbox (black bands above and below the picture), or 4:3. Most DVDs will be in 16:9 format anyway (look closely for a small panel on the back of the box, stating things like region, colour system, run-time, etc.).
You need to match the output signal of your DVD player with the input signal of your TV; sometimes not quite as easy as it sounds!
jmd
Grafter

Will check backs then - thanks.  Also they take ages to load.
Fixes: 47

Different DVD players vary in their loading times.
The Sony S370 makes a big thing of it in it's specification.
Quote from: Sony
Super quick operation speeds: 3 seconds for boot up, 2 seconds tray eject and faster loading time
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
jmd
Grafter

Oh dear, have just realised one of films tried to watch is widescreen!  This was not apparent on my 22inch TV but is now on 32"!
The slow loading time is why I do not watch DVDs very often........................................................
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

The slow load never bothered me, but the 10 min of ADVERTS/Anti copying c*ap before I could get into the film did. One more reason to rip the film and watch it on my media player Wink
Fixes: 47

I agree with HB and usually there is no way to skip the rubbish and go straight to the movie.
I usually insert the DVD and go off to get my crisps and drink from the kitchen while it's loading.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

16:9 annoys me. When you find a film where 16:9 actually works (IE the black stripes are totally eliminated) you'll get foreign speech and the translation text will be on the picture and the black area - out of sight.
Then you get the other widescreen films that still don't display properly in 16:9 and instead get squashed down... annoying.
3 widescreen TVs, multiple VCRs, DVD players/recorders and 3 different freeview receivers have all showed the same stupid problem.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!