cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Queen's Speech

Community Veteran

Queen's Speech

The Queen's Speech has just been delivered in Parliament.
Queen's Speech
No real surprises,  but I guess that is to be expected in the final year of Parliament.
15 REPLIES
WTF
Grafter

Re: Queen's Speech

I believe part of the issue is that the LibDems and Tories have already implemented everything they could from the coalition agreement.  I'm guessing agreeing new stuff would be difficult as both parties will want to keep any good ideas (?) for their upcoming manifestos.
They could have stolen a couple of Labour's ideas, though - to annoy Labour, if nothing else Roll eyes
Community Veteran

If they hadn't passed that fixed-term parliament Act there would be an election by now.
Not that either of the coalition parties would be likely to welcome it.  Lips are sealed
Though it does mean we'll have a year when the politicians won't be changing too much (for once) which may actually be a good thing?  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Quote from: WTF
I believe part of the issue is that the LibDems and Tories have already implemented everything they could from the coalition agreement.  I'm guessing agreeing new stuff would be difficult as both parties will want to keep any good ideas (?) for their upcoming manifestos.

Can't think the Lib Dems would think it worth keeping anything for their manifesto Wink Wink
One interesting idea is the dutch style pension plan? I wonder if it would really be beneficial  Undecided
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

any time pension systems are changed its to save the country money, it might seem like a great idea during the proposal period and even for a few months /years after initial implementation but then all those department policy documents will get re-written and bam its suddenly a really bad deal........
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Certainly not the experience in Holland.
WTF
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
Can't think the Lib Dems would think it worth keeping anything for their manifesto Wink Wink

I almost wrote the same thing but actually, the LibDems have a semi-realistic hope that the next government will also be a coalition and that they'll therefore play some part in it.
Of course, if the Scots vote to leave us, all bets are off: we'll be stuck with Tory governments for ever .. well, until they complete their job of completely screwing up the country and we're left with a few well defended enclaves of the super rich dotted around a country-sized version of Detroit.
nanotm
Pro

which was based on the old pension schemes operated in the UK before brown dissolved them and stole all the accumulated cash.......
besides who wants to be sitting in there dotage and get a letter telling them there pension income (which they depend on) is getting cut in order to save the fund...
what they should do in this country is legislate that employers must directly employ staff ( instead of everyone being a private contractor or contracted via 3rd party) and provide a pension scheme for all employees (even if they all band together with a pension provider like Scottish widows) and make it water tight so that even if the company goes bust the pension is safe and make it a non dissolvable system so that a future communist cant steal all the funds again !
WTF
Grafter

A great analysis .. 'cept for the bit where the commies stole the cash: the thiefs were all died-in-the-wool captalists Wink
nanotm
Pro

Russia is full of capitalist's, there politburo is still there most exclusive club for capitalists and yet they remain a bunch of commies 
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

The Daily Mail does excel with its' photo's at times.
Details of the Speech too.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2648417/The-moment-page-boy-collapsed-Queen-reading-speech-c...
Community Veteran

Details of all the Bills here:
Bills in the Speech
Community Veteran

Quote from: nanotm

what they should do in this country is legislate that employers must directly employ staff ( instead of everyone being a private contractor or contracted via 3rd party) and provide a pension scheme for all employees (even if they all band together with a pension provider like Scottish widows) and make it water tight so that even if the company goes bust the pension is safe and make it a non dissolvable system so that a future communist cant steal all the funds again !

Employers are obliged to provide pensions for employees now!!
nanotm
Pro

only where the company actually employs the person, a lot of companies get round this legally by not actually employing people on a permanent basis or by using zero hour contracts or even better by calling them self employed private contractors in there t &c's
they should implement a change in the law to prevent that before shoving another sticky plaster over the problem with yet another pension bill that will only change the laws around how any scheme is run from 2017 onwards (which is when a raft of new legislation is set to be implemented)
Community Veteran

Quote from: WTF
Quote from: artmo

I almost wrote the same thing but actually, the LibDems have a semi-realistic hope that the next government will also be a coalition and that they'll therefore play some part in it.

I can't see the Lib Dems fulfilling that role. Hopefully the Tories will get a working majority and be able to get on with the job without interference. If we should find ourselves in another coalition it could be Nig and his bunch giving DC a helping hand.