cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Queen cancels staff Christmas party

Steve
Pro

Queen cancels staff Christmas party

The Queen has cancelled this year's Christmas party for her staff because of the "difficult financial circumstances" facing the country.
The 600 members of the Royal Household had been expecting to attend a festive celebration, with a guest, which the Queen usually pays for every two years, at Buckingham Palace.
A Palace spokesman said: "The Queen is acutely aware of the difficult economic circumstances facing the country. It was decided it was appropriate for the Royal Household to show restraint and therefore not hold the party this year."
Staff had been expecting the party to be held in December.

Lips are sealed
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: Queen cancels staff Christmas party

miserable old person  Sad
Steve
Pro

Jim That's putting It mildly, Sheesh I dont know what this country Is coming to though TBH... Lips are sealed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

A'hem! may I offer; and, I don't actually know but, I suspect HM doesn't actually pay for it...we do!
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Apparently its because of the current economic conditions.
Personally I think it shows a total disconnect between the royals and both their staff and the ordinary people of the Kingdom.
Quote from: Petlew
A'hem! may I offer; and, I don't actually know but, I suspect HM doesn't actually pay for it...we do!

Depends on which party for what workers.  The news as I heard it was remarkably light on actual facts, it could be a mountain being made of a molehill.
Steve
Pro

You are correct Petlew WE DO and thats why my lips are  Lips are sealed
Steve
Pro

The Sun newspaper said the Christmas shindig, planned for December 13, cost 50,000 pounds ($79,000) and was to have been enjoyed by 1,200 guests.
"It's the first time in memory the party's been canceled," one unnamed worker told the Sun. "We're all devastated as it's a great night when everyone lets their hair down.
"It's normal to see the Queen dancing with a footman or Prince Philip waltzing with a maid."
Community Veteran

Well if the SUN's numbers are correct, its insane to cancel the party, the cost won't even be the average employment cost for 2 of those people, but the loss of work from pissing off 1,200 employees will add up to more than 2 man years.
Steve
Pro

It's a shambles! 
The palace spokesman said The Sun's report was “broadly accurate” but declined to confirm details. - Sapa-AP
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Ummm! I wasn't actually begrudging it, just making the point that as far as I know HM is not dipping into her own purse for it. Royal household (general) staff are amongst the lowest paid in the country, the minimum wage applying to many.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

what wonderful pr the mingy old bat is going to garner from that bit of calculated spitefulness.  ''ner, ner, ni, ner ner, gubmint won't let me have dosh to heat the place, so i won't throw party for all the commoners who've looked after me splendidly throughout the year''
you'll be remembered for that bit of meanness, madam.
Steve
Pro

It comes from the queens " Private Income " Whatever that means?
Community Veteran

That means it comes from her personal wealth, not from public money.
nadger
Rising Star

I understand that their income has gone down since Phil the Greek gave up cabbing on Friday & Saturday nights  Wink
Steve
Pro

Uh Ok thanks fourfourdevon, Which means my reply to Petlew was wrong, My apologies Petlew, Still It's a disgrace.