Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quality goods

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Quality goods

So when plusnet say (as they have done) that they are "....an industry leader, offering quality services through brands including PlusNet" - it means nothing? :wink:

Luzern
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 5

@gleneagles wrote:

@Luzern

Whilst it's true those who market products using the word 'quality' often use it to deceive customers, the word 'quality' does have meaning.

Many of us have used the word, 'quality' when we have purchased goods that have met or exceeded our expectations.

We use other words to describe goods that do not meet our expectations but I am unable to give examples as they are banned on the forum.

:wink:

I'd say a yes in colloquial usage, maybe it does, but otherwise I don't think so. 

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Luzern
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 5

Veering a little OT, when I see houses described as "architect designed", my sceptic hat is donned. I think that's from a house I viewed in my early marriage. Two of three bedrooms were so narrow, that once the bed was in, it was full unless one was an anorexic midget.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

@Luzern wrote:
I'd say a yes in colloquial usage

I wonder if kids use the word "quality" similar to the way they use "sick".

Fixes: 318

@Minivanman wrote:

So when plusnet say (as they have done) that they are "....an industry leader, offering quality services through brands including PlusNet" - it means nothing? :wink:

Strictly speaking no, but people quantify the term to suit circumstances.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 69.0.3 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 43

Funny you should make that reference @Luzern as regards "architect designed" if they don't do it then who does. There was one house that was for sale locally that had this tag line on it, and when I went to see it this was again brought to my attention to which I replied "I would hope so.". Agent didn't look too pleased as it took any value it had away.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

@Luzern wrote:

Veering a little OT, when I see houses described as "architect designed", my sceptic hat is donned. I think that's from a house I viewed in my early marriage. Two of three bedrooms were so narrow, that once the bed was in, it was full unless one was an anorexic midget.

Builders get up to all sorts of tricks, leaving doors off rooms in the show house to give the illusion of more space, putting a 5'6 long bed in a box room to prove a bed will fit in. Mirror tiles in a small bathroom to make it look bigger, least I think that's why they put them in.:wink:

Perhaps people could put up with some of these things if they could at least manage to build the houses correctly in the first place ! Some are even falling to bits or deemed unsafe within days of the owners moving in.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

I seem to recall they also fit smaller furniture in the lounge, but then furniture has got much smaller anyway it seems to me in order to fit into much smaller houses.... and how do they get away with building them so close together?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

In the same vein, what are 'designer brands'?

Any product (other than 'copies/lookalikes/'fakes'') has to be 'designed' by someone (their role surely being that of a 'designer' in this context), Why or how do some products get labelled 'designer' and others don't?

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Indeed, but when you put the words together it means something else and in this case, it's a quality mark on a luxury item. Rolls Royce, Chanel...... 

Community Veteran

It's a standard negotiation ploy: "It's a quality product at an excellent price..."

...which could be taken as it is an excellent sales price for the vendor and features dubious quality.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
agedgopher
Pro
Fixes: 3

I steer clear of goods that are heavily promoted as " designer", It seems to me to be a move to retail the same imported tat as almost any shop but with an extra nought added to the price. Beware of sales people offering dubious quality at even more dubious prices.

Fixes: 318

The 'Designer' label has hypnotic properties configured to primarily affect the fairer gender.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 69.0.3 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

And the young, @Strat

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@Minivanman wrote:

@chuffchuff

I have always sworn by Bosch and have used their stuff for years and from what I can gather they are still in the hands of the original company - which makes a change these days but then the Germans are not so quick to sell on those brands and companies to others as we seem to be here in the UK.

For their appliances, for most of the 2000s, they were built and supplied by Indesit, but then Bosch decided the products they were selling with their name on them were utter carp and went back to making them themselves, I have a Bosch Slimline dishwasher, and compared to the Indesitpoint it replaced (well, that one got left in Lancashire cos it was POS) it's an absolute dream to use... Smiley

Just proves that just because it has the brand name on it doesn't mean it it actually made by them... Smiley