Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Putting names to the lost soldiers of Fromelles

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Putting names to the lost soldiers of Fromelles

The soldiers that died in World War 1from the battle of Fromelles in France are geting their DNA taken to see who thay are!
This kind of use of DNA I holy approve of.
[quote="Putting names to the lost soldiers of Fromelles"]
The first of the remains of 250 World War I soldiers found in France are being reburied with military honours after painstaking efforts to identify them. How do you put the right name on a headstone after so long?
When the first chipped and battle-scarred bones were excavated from a muddy field in northern France last May, the story of the forgotten battle of Fromelles began to emerge.
The remains of 250 British and Australian soldiers had lain undiscovered for 93 years since falling on the Western Front.
Boots, purses, toothbrushes and other personal artefacts lay amongst the twisted skeletons at Pheasant Wood, offering partial clues about the men's identities.
5 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Putting names to the lost soldiers of Fromelles

The trouble is Gary you have destroyed the DNA database, so they have nothing to compare it with
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

I hope that is a joke?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

No it is serious.  I have been looking for the article - recent- but cant find it.  A man has been sentenced after the DNA from an old case was found to be close to a recent one, they then checked the relative and found one that matched what they knew and confronted him, he confessed.  No DNA records no justice
Its an old chestnut of yours, but if you have nothing to hide, I dont, whats wrong with keeping the DNA records, thats my human right - to find the offenders
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

That is going down the road of keeping DNA for just the sake of it!
No thank you I do not want anything to do with that!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

suit your self, but as I said no record, no match.
they have another scheme with the Afro Caribbeans where from their DNA, they can locate closely their ancestral home village in Africa