cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purpose of chit chat

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Purpose of chit chat

Should Chit Chat be considered as an add on to all the other forums, or is it OK if it is a end in itself?
I've always considered Chit Chat as the place for the posters on these forums to chat about other subjects that have interested or amused them and so would expect the people posting in the chit chat forum to also contribute to other areas of the forums. What I wouldn't expect is that someone would make a large number of posts in Chit Chat whilst making zero contributions elsewhere in the forums; in that case I'd expect them to find forums dedicated to their area of interest.
Am I out of step here or is that what other people think?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
41 REPLIES
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Purpose of chit chat

I've no objection to a PN subscriber contributing solely to Chit Chat.
I'm sure I'm not alone, though, in finding it increasingly annoying to find that section of the forum awash with conspiracy theories. We don't come to Chit Chat to be constantly lectured by
a person like myself can see the much wider agenda

It's not only the 'original' conspiracy threads - many 'normal' ones are getting sidetracked down the same path too.   Sad  Angry
There are plenty of places on the net for that kind of posting, but I don't believe that PN Chit Chat is one of them.
Not young enough to know everything
WildRose52
Grafter

Jelv,
Would I be right in thinking you are referring to me by any chance?
If so, then surely I have a right to reply.
If you would care to check you will notice that I do contribute to other
people`s threads, as also have I done in tech areas of PlusNet.

ForceE
As for my postings, then by all means if you feel they are conspiracy
theories, I would not wiish to deny you that opinion. 
Fact  is though there are thousands of other voices out there right now
if you would just consider taking the time to listen and find out for yourself. 
You might just be very very surprised to find that they are not conspiracy theories
at all.
As for side tracking any one else`s threads, you might just find neither
has that occurred since JIM emailed me about it.

I do believe there is a need for more forum areas though.
Other than for Chit Chat & Gaming all the other areas on PlusNet appear
to be dedicated to topics like Internet /Windows software /account quieries
etc etc.
I did in fact post such a suggestion several days ago, but unfortunately
PlusNet had only just changed the forum, so even if they thought my
suggestion a good idea (and I dont know whether they do or not)  then
it came too late.
Hopefully it might be something PlusNet might consider next time round.
I trust we can respect each other`s points of view, seeing as we only have
this ONE area - and there`s plenty of room for all of us surely.

Fixes: 104

Come one now, let's not rake over all this again...
Jelv I can understand what you're saying, but as customers of PN everyone has a right to post here, assuming they obey the rules of course Wink
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

While I wouldn't like to go as far as -
[quote=jelv]Can someone tell me how to unsubscribe from Chit Chat so that it doesn't appear in the list of unread posts please.
I would like to see on the "Recent Unread Topics" page, a tick box (per topic) to hide further notifications of individual threads when "UNREAD POSTS" is selected.
This way you would be able to quickly choose to eliminate any postings that you really aren't interested in, whether because you don't wish to be subjected to someone's extreme (or misguided) views, or perhaps you are simply bored at reply 472 in "My favourite fish puns" (or whatever !).
Community Veteran

Following on from what Adie said (I was writing a post when he posted his…), I just want to reiterate what the ‘Board conduct’ thread points out: that if ever anyone is concerned about the direction a thread is taking then they should feel free to report the offending post(s) to the moderators. We can't/won't always take action because the nature of Chit Chat is that things will deviate from their original topic, but when it's evidently doing so in a detrimental manner we will try and correct things – only, we can't always be relied upon to spot things by ourselves.
Quote from: WildRose52
I trust we can respect each other`s points of view, seeing as we only have
this ONE area - and there`s plenty of room for all of us surely.

I think that sums things up rather nicely for both sides of the argument. Progress has been made in the last week or so, so let's stick at it. Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Regrettably.... I am not able to post or respond to (m)any threads on chit chat in my usual manner due to this
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,85229.0.html ; Lips are sealed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Maybe some of us need this - http://hubpages.com/hub/Fitness_Ink  Cheesy
Community Veteran

I'm not sure I follow, shutter?
B.
WildRose52
Grafter

Purleigh >  Maybe some of us need this - http://hubpages.com/hub/Fitness_Ink ;

Smiley
Bach Flower Remedies: Wild Rose and Apathy
Physical
They are rather boring people, with no interest in anything that goes on around them. This makes them quite unpopular or it might make people in a group ignore them, leaving them to their apathy. Wild Rose gives them the energy to be able to take an interest in people and things and to be a part of what is going on around them.
Mental
Sometimes, a Wild Rose negative state could be temporary, when the energy flowing through the body is low, especially after an illness. It feels like they have reached the limit of what they can do and they settle into a state of non-doing. Wild Rose helps them to feel involved again.
Emotional
Wild Rose may be needed over a long period of time to make the heart open up and love the way it should.

Spiritual
Wild Rose makes him become more active in his spiritual life, urging him to look for answers inside his soul.
http://hubpages.com/hub/Wild-Rose-and-Apathy

Looks like you need me after all  lol  xx  Grin

I bet even the moderators cant improve on that one  Wink

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I thought things had calmed down and Chit Chat had returned to normal - but then we get posts like http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,85638.0.html
Moderators: Please withdraw all rights to the Chit Chat forum for my login.
[Moderator's note by Thomas (Be3G): insulting remarks removed.]
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Right. As was pretty inevitable once this thread began, I'm starting to be concerned by some of the posts in here – and frankly, I'm getting quite tired of them too. Please don't make me lock another thread because people have thought it's fine to start getting insulting, aggressive, and so forth. Mild-mannered debate and discussion is absolutely welcome here, but not anything more than that.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I refer to my previous posting in this thread....
Quote from: shutter
Regrettably.... I am not able to post or respond to (m)any threads on chit chat in my usual manner due to this
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,85229.0.html ;  Lips are sealed

Unfortunately.............Much as I would like to respond to WR52`s posting, it would probably be considered to be a personal attack, therefore I must abide by the sticky on top of this board.
(I just wish I could understand what it meant)
Community Veteran

Yet another useful contribution Gerry.
I think we get the message by now!
Community Veteran

Thomas, chit chat has always been a friendly area for debate and fun but recently things have changed.  One person seems to take every opportunity to ram her twisted views on life down our throats and I for one find this unnecessary and unpleasant.  I have received a number of PMs backing my views.
Whilst it is obvious  the mods have attempted to deal with the situation (spoken to her perhaps) many posters do not like the present situation and it has to be dealt with.  If it isn't then chit chat could be under threat as a great place to visit.