cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Puns v righting the worlds wrongs

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Puns v righting the worlds wrongs

A number of members in this forum enjoy stretching the language to form obscure pun's, and often start amusing threads knowing full well that is what will happen, to the obvious enjoyment of some other members.
Equally, other members like to multi-quote in serious minded posts designed to correct all the political wrongs that exist in this turbulent world.
Others like to offer web links with no information what they might be about.
Most, like the mixture of all of them. Making their choices of whether to read posts or not, quite often based on the author.
My point is, there is room for everyone in this forum and complaining about the direction of a thread you don't actually like or agree with has no place here. Nobody forces you to read every single word of every single post, I certainly don't  (that's the unfortunate bag of the moderators)
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
25 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Pun's v righting the worlds wrongs

The unfotunate bag of moderators is what we are stuck with !... Cheesy  some of them are ok... some of them are really good.... there`s not many left for any other category !!! ...  Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Pun's v righting the worlds wrongs

and some are grammar pedants who wonder why the title of this thread has an apostrophe between pun and s  Grin Grin
Whose pun is it anyway  Lips are sealed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Puns v righting the worlds wrongs

Petlew whistles tunelessly. Roll eyes
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

'pun my soul, I see no apostrophe Smiley
On a serious point I agree with Petlew's comments.  We have a good mix of subject on the forums and we can all take or leave anything that is posted.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: artmo
'pun my soul, I see no apostrophe Smiley

I spy...
Quote from: Petlew
A number of members in this forum enjoy stretching the language to form obscure pun's,

Quote from: Oldjim
Whose pun is it anyway  Lips are sealed

Quite right!
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

I suppose it was worth a pun(t) to post the original thoughts, though.
Fixes: 125

Er, what about the missing apostrophe in 'worlds' Wink
Back to the OP, I whole-heartedly agree.
I do tend to read most threads and posts in Chit Chat but there are the odd few I skim or even skip over, usually more about the content than the poster.
You probably all know by now I love the odd pun or two  Cheesy I equally enjoy the more serious threads even if I don't always add to them.
Long may Chit Chat reign as it does Cool

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Nobody forces you to read every single word of every single post, I certainly don't  (that's the unfortunate bag of the moderators)

Apologies for being 'serious' (and for being 'on topic' in chit chat) but do the mods actually read every post?  If so, how do they know whether a moderator has read a specific post and are there any 'moderator police' somewhere checking up on them?  :mand:
Oh, and, yes, quite agree with the OP (except for that apostrophe!).  Tongue
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

A serious reply - no we don't but there are many among you who use the Report to Moderator button which helps a lot and also we have a good idea as which posters to watch and which threads may need help
I think we all use the Unread Posts option which flags things up a bit including dodgy grammar in the title  Grin
Community Veteran

Thank's Jim [/coat]
Call me 'w23'
Community Veteran

[/invisible]  Lips are sealed
Razer
Grafter

Making their choices of whether to read posts or not.

But having no choice but to have to scroll by post upon post, and sometimes page upon page of posts not interested in because they are just a pun-riff gone mad in a topic the reader may otherwise have been interested in making a choice to read when it had a point of interest.
My point is, there is room for everyone in this forum and complaining about the direction of a thread you don't actually like or agree with has no place here.

On the contrary, we are free to express ourselves within reason where ever we may. This section being 'chit-chat', if any member so chooses to express objection at anything on this forum it has equal place to not expressing. You cannot control what people say in that way. In essence, you demand 'shut up'. In essence, I reply 'NO'. You cannot silence a contrary view just because you don't like it and it calls you out on your own behaviour. I made a reasonable point about destroying threads with post after post of puns, stating clearly that I had no desire to spoil your fun whilst pointing out how far you are going. This was your reaction. I will state further, and more forcefully:
It is perfectly reasonable for me to point out what some of you, in my view, do with threads that, whilst you are busy with the mutual-mental-masturbation of it, rapt up in your ongoing excitement, excuse me, excrement, you completely ignore how much it just destroys threads. Moreover, like some anal-expulsive, you just spread this all over any thread you like. And then you say:
Nobody forces you to read every single word of every single post, I certainly don't

No, but as said, you force us who do not want the smearing to have to either scroll past post upon post of uninteresting/irrelevant 'word play' or ultimately abandon what was previously a thread of interest because it has deteriorated in the way I have described, time and time again, in thread upon thread. It is dissipate and dissipated. That is, the excessive behaviour of a few force out the rest of us who have just as much a right to enjoy this place, because these few can't and/or won't control their pleasure. Notice how very few of the total members of this forum actually spend a good amount of (or any) time here? Ever wonder why?
I repeat: I have no desire to spoil anybody's fun. I simply point out just how far and over-the-top some go, to the detriment of enjoyment for others. If you want the rapture, why not confine the punning profligacy to a single thread instead of spreading over every other thread that you can? In simple terms, and to use an americanism: get a room.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

It's tradition, innit?  Wink
Sprite made a similar point last December -  to no avail.
Most forums develop a certain ambience or character, and most PN Chit Chat contributors seem happy with the status quo.
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: 4C
PN Chit Chat contributors seem happy with the status quo.

Chit Chat is a nice place to visit for a break during/after a working/ stressfull day, scintillating wit, sparkling repartee,  atrocious puns coupled with loads of useful and useless information (often difficult to tell apart, as what is useless one day I'm often searching for a week/month later), good natured folk whose intentions are kind and good.
Wouldn't want to change a thing Grin