Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pulsihers want ebooks to "self distruct"

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Pulsihers want ebooks to "self distruct"

All about ££'s of course.
El Reg link http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/04/09/elending_review_government_response/
But the same review - carried out by a publisher - also recommended that ebooks "deteriorate" just like paper titles, forcing Blighty to buy new copies as they would with dead-tree-printed stock.

Now why would ebooks need to deteriorate ? If it wasn't for money grabbers?  
My local library is "renting" ebooks but only via the web, you log in to a 3rd party webite and can download a zipped ebook there, no tried it yet as I need a pin to access the site, and probably Adobe DRM to put it on my e-reader.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Pulsihers want ebooks to "self distruct"

I wonder where the deterioration occurs, if its on the reader itself you have the option of reloading it from the PC copy by USB if you wish. Personally I save all my books to my download folder as zip files anyway you can reload these without going online.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

No it is the library copy (I assume), unless they want ALL ebooks to self destruct, but self owned books are more likely to be looked after better than shared ones. Just another side effect of DRM they can do what they want with YOUR media.
fishrow
Grafter

umm, what is a "pulsiher" ?
randpwar
Grafter

I  assume it is a typo for ‘publisher’ as any sensible, reasonable person would  Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

But how would an ebook deteriorate? Image quality perhaps?
That would mean it would need access to a timebase to determine how old it is. Ah the wonders of virtual machines. Even then it might need access to the internet to check the time via an ntp server. Firewalls are wonderful things too (along with the ability to disable network connectors).
Frankly I don't see it being workable.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Hairy
No it is the library copy (I assume), unless they want ALL ebooks to self destruct, but self owned books are more likely to be looked after better than shared ones. Just another side effect of DRM they can do what they want with YOUR media.
But equally if you have the knowledge you can also do what you like to your legally owned software including e-books so DRM becomes irrelevant.
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Winds me up that in spite of the far reduced costs for storage and transport, and the absence of printing and paper costs, ebooks are still around the same price as paper books. I realise they're taxed (unlike paper books) but still don't think it's warranted - a breakdown of costs would be very interesting indeed.
Aside from that, can't see 'decaying' ebooks working any better than ones with DRM to be honest.