cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pudding (short grain) rice

Fixes: 125

Pudding (short grain) rice

Journeys' quest for steel cut oats and the response to it has prompted me to put this question...
I love rice pudding and SWMBO makes the best I have ever tasted and it takes something to beat my grandmother's Smiley
Usually she makes a huge amount supposedly to last a four or five days but it never does but the problem is we have never found it in bags larger than 500g. Sainsbury's, Morrison's, Tesco, Waitrose, et al seem to offer 500g around the same price at just under a quid. You can get 1Kg and 5kg bags of basmati and various other kinds of long grain but just not short grain Sad
Does anyone know of a source for larger bags?
Forgot to say I love it on shortbread biscuits with a generous helping or rasbery or stawberry jam on top Cool

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

21 REPLIES
annerimmington
Grafter

Re: Pudding (short grain) rice

I`ve only ever seen small bags of short grain rice in supermarkets.    You could check out Amazon.co.uk in the grocery section..................amazing section of everyday footstuff and imported US products.  I buy all my cat food from them in bulk with free delivery............works out far cheaper than buying it from the supermarket !   
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

If you know someone who has access to a Makro store (Cash&Carry)  they do 2Kg bags of pudding rice for £4.29 ex VAT
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

not that easy, I used to get a lot for a youth group and the scouts, they eventually took away my card, these are the Makro terms
How to become a customer
Welcome to Makro
To be entitled to a Makro Tradecard, you need to be in business or authorised to buy on behalf of a business.
With 30 stores throughout the UK, Makro is the convenient, professional and cost effective choice for anyone who purchases on behalf of a company or their own business.
For your convenience you can complete the application form and bring it into store along with your documents to save yourself time when registering in store
To apply for a Makro trade card you will need:
    1.    To complete the application form, agreeing to the terms and conditions
    2.    Complete the application form
    3.    Bring completed form into you nearest store along with the correct documents
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

@mav:-
One suggestion is to look for a ‘wholesale distributer’ in your area (sells to cafés, restaurants, pubs etc). Then buy from them, either delivery or Cash and Carry.
To get to a regular Supermarket we’ve a 25 mile round trip, Supermarkets charge for delivery ‘wholesale distributer’ deliver free providing the order is above a certain figure (in most cases around £150).
We have no problem reaching the £150 3-4 times per year (most dried, canned, jar, cleaning or bottled goods).
There are added advantages if the wholeseller is ‘organic' the food is of a better quality for a cheaper price than regular supermarkets. Disadvantage is extra storage space.
We use Lembas foods in Sheffield www.lembas.co.uk, Halifax has www.suma.co.uk. You'd need to do a bit of research

Doesn’t suit everybody..................our neighbours shop weekly at Morrison’s and treat it as an ‘evening out’ by having dinner at the supermarket restaurant
pierre_pierre
Grafter

its not just pudding rice, its the same with Arborio rice - for  rissotos
Seems that the only rice in large packets is for those people who dont originate from Europe
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I don't know if it is the same stuff but the Chinese eat something very similar - a big gooey sticky lump of rice - and if so a shop selling to the Chinese may have it
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Might be wrong but, aren't weevils a problem in rice that has been standing around for a while. Hence the smaller packs normally sold to public in supermarkets as bigger packs can be around a long time before they're used up. Not a problem for commercial users who use it in large volumes.
Sure I read this somewhere.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Other than that, I understand that Basmati rice (widely available in Asian cooking) makes an excellent rice pudding. Should think you could get that in larger packs.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 47

My wife used to buy a sack of Tilda Basmati rice from her brother's shop but we used to eat quite a lot Sad
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
Might be wrong but, aren't weevils a problem in rice that has been standing around for a while.

Just to churn the stomach:
Rice weevils will appear the longer the rice is stored especially as mentioned above if the location is not dry. Keep in mind that the rice you buy in a supermarket comes from many sources and the rice may not have been dried or bagged properly before it arrived at the processing plant. Also, in general supermarket rice is old rice, meaning by the time it goes from the farmer to the factory to be deshelled and bagged then delivered to the supermarket shelf many months have passed. To solve this problem, I would suggest taking the rice out of the bag and storing it in a air tight container preferably ceramic but plastic will do and placing it in a dry area in the kitchen .I have never had weevils in my rice but this is because I only eat "fresh" seasonal rice at home. As any farmer will tell you, there is no such thing as good supermarket rice.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

use glass containers, we had one lot that somehow chewed holes in the plastic
Community Veteran

And just to cheer you up some more, rice is not the only grain that suffers with creepy crawlies. They nearly all do including flour, it doesn't matter how finely it is ground the little devil's eggs will survive. One of the very few food products that you might care to take notice of the use by date.

Fixes: 47

I made my wife a 3 sided wooden tray from thin ply which she used to check the rice before cooking it.
She would meticulously examine it looking for 'foreign bodies' which she removed.
It was standard practice with her regardless of where the rice was purchased.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I have never found a foreign body in my Tilda Basmati rice - 10kg bags from Sainsbury