Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pubs open

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Re: Pubs open

Well apart from only once did I have a drink at something like 3-4am. Ah ok a much younger me did go to a club at New Cross which closes at something like 5am and once I did stay there until the end. So that's twice then. 😁

Another time I went there, someone who I was with decided it would be a good idea to walk home. Well we all had a few drinks and after a few light ales (shall we say) we had the false misguided drunken assumption it was a good idea. Err nope! What a mission as I lived around 9 miles away.

Well it did give me some exercise and sober me up a bit, after 4 hours of walking home. 😖

I made it, and I am still impressed I did now!

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 18

The closer you keep R to 1, the longer it will take for the infections (and deaths) to diminish.

So opening pubs is going to cost lives, even if it saves £'s.

It's a political choice, how many lives are you willing to sacrifice in order to keep an unknown number of pubs from going bust?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Highlighted
Community Veteran

It's a difficult one, yes of course life is a priority.

However businesses need to function as some if they are closed are not making money. Which means they struggle and go under.

Difficult balancing act, and I honestly don't know the answer. 

I personally think there is going to be a recession after this.

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero

That's without mentioning that brexit kicks in with tariffs etc in less than 6 months.

Double whammy recession!

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

Fact is @rEUnite I still don't know anyone who has had Covid. Even the step daughter's result came back as a negative.

And as I'm getting on in life (and in an at risk group too) I'd still prefer to take my chances in the wild world. Hence my judgment differs from yours. That is what democracy is all about. Maybe we best steer clear...............🤣🤣🤣🤣. sorry mods...

Once all the fuss has died down I will pay a visit to the seaside, go in my usual hideout and have a welcome meal.

Ah, a sense of normality. At last.  😃

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Yep, I don't want to put anyone's life at risk. No-one would.

My local one is closed, but as I live on my own I might walk up to the village and see what is open (if anything). I have a friend coming over - so we'll walk up there and see. I am rubbish at shopping and cooking - my way of cooking (wish is a misnomer) is to nuke a microwave meal for x mins. Sometimes if I feel adventerous I will put a pizza for x mins in the oven. If I am lucky I don't burn it. I did a few months back and when I opened the oven, it was bad, and my smoke alarm went off. Annoyed it was edibale (you didn't need to be exactly Columbo to notice that). Oh well at least it tested my smoke alarm worled 😝

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 4

I know 1 person who has had covid and he contracted it when in hospital for a heart related condition!!

In another part of the thread, it was said lives are being prioritised over the economy. If you have no economy, how does the country pay for all those people sat at home on furlough (have worked all through btw, on the road every day) and others on benefits? Someone has to go out and earn money to pay taxes to pay them. Someone has to go out to spend their money to pay the wages to enable that to happen. Companies not generating profits means no tax income. Covid will be around for a very long time to come yet, do we stay hidden away for years and live off nothing?

Time to get back to the new normal.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

@DaveyH wrote:

What kind of message does it send letting your "adviser" and father (and openly laughing about it when questioned) get away with doing whatever the [-Censored-] they like?

Looks like a law student might challenge 'the adviser' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53212434

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I have no intention of going in any pub. Anyway I haven't been in one for many years. The last time I did the only words I spoke was "how much".

As I've mentioned by brother had this when working in London. A couple of weeks in hospital under an oxygen mask. Then back home to yet more "surprise" hospital time with blood clots on the lungs. And now, a couple of months later, a once very fit hard working fifty year old says "I feel like an old man" when just walking his dog.

So if people want to get back out there good for them but I'll watch from a distance.

London was a big hotspot for the disease. I suspect there will be similar coming soon to a city centre near you.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Sorry to hear that @billnotben, I wish him all the best.

Somehow all our lives have to return to normal, and there is no right or wrong way of going about it at the moment.

We all have to try and do what we think is best. Which is what I am trying to do. 

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@DaveyH 

I might be living under a rock but I do see the news.....

Leicester is back in lockdown.....I wonder why.....

Might be useful for you to consider the reasons why ?

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@rEUnite 

It so easy to follow the same path as Labour and be critical of every decision made with hindsight.

Everyones job is easy until you are doing that job yourself...then it’s not as easy as it looks.

Of course I do not support Johnson’s father or Cummings ignoring the lockdown, but they are the ones at fault and completely selfish in failing to consider the consequences both to their and others people’s health and the political backlash it would cause Boris.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

This tweet from Richard Osman (The tall Pointless fella with all the facts) rather amused me:

https://twitter.com/richardosman/status/1279518224539885571

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 24

An epidemiologist, an ICU doctor, and a scientist walk into a bar....

Spoiler
Just kidding.
Behind every successful man is a surprised woman
Highlighted
Aspiring Hero

Drunks in London last night...

5007.jpg