Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Sector Pay Rise.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Public Sector Pay Rise.

So, public sector workers 'to get £2bn pay rise' - is that each month or for the whole year?

We need to be told only as either way, that seems an awful lot of money for one person.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49041295

20 REPLIES 20
Community Veteran
Fixes: 43

Re: Public Sector Pay Rise.

Hate to pedantic but as it says 'workers' that being the plural of worker, so at minimum it implies two, so that's only 1bn each and not two :grin:

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Yes you are right!

So that's OK then. Phew, I thought it was a lot. :tongue:

Luzern
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 5

Whilst ealy day cud chewing was watching a Wanted Down Under Revisited, the starting salary quoted was equivalent of £44K. Here it's the mid £20K range. Clearly over there they're valued than here, where the mantra is still, 'those  who can do; those who can't teach'. The rises offered will do little to correct. 

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

I never knew that the government had such a large cash surplus to be able to afford this.

If this is true (fat chance) perhaps pot holes could be filled and council tax reduced.

And the free TV licence also paid out of this vast cash pot surplus.

But I suppose the reality is that while the private sector actually have to have the cash to hand out wage rises the public sector does not.

Champnet
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

From the comments made on the news late last night, this is a recycled announcement and will have to be paid for out of existing budgets. No extra money....

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@Champnet 

Always out of existing budgets surely, unless they are printing extra cash somewhere. 

Community Veteran

So if that is true there will be cuts in other areas to cover this.

Champnet
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

@Minivanman I'd have expected the Chancellor to have a slush fund from which these suddenly announced pay rises could be paid from.

Looks like it's nothing more than permission for Departments to spend some of their existing budget on salary increases.

As@billnotben comments something's got to give.....

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

No.

It's TM putting the boot in, making promises that the next PM will have to keep or deal with the reaction if he fails to carry it out.

Even if it takes place wages have been kept low for years ? 1% on average so how much poorer are people now.

@Luzern  shows how much wages have slipped behind compared one country and quite likely other examples can be given.

No money for wage increases but no problem with the cost of most things rising each year well above inflation with the usual excuses trotted out.......no thought given to the increasing number of people going into debt as a result of this inbalance.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Seems to me that it the public rise up and protest about low wages then so what, but if the Public Sector does the same then we'd all be a right pickle government included.

Can't have that, especially from those in uniform. 

"Tell me all about trade unions again Grandad" :rolleyes: 

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

Percentages were given for a number of occupations, but will it get them back, in real terms, to where they were pre-2008?  With RPI being 2.9%, a pay increase of 2.5% is not even maintaining your current level of earnings in real terms.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Indeed not, but it's better than a poke in the eye - and many wages earners can't even get that.

I wonder if this means our pensions go up as a public sector non-workers? :wink:

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

Mr Cameron's triple lock will make sure you don't lose out.  With the crime rate being what it is, you also need to triple lock all your doors and windows.

Luzern
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 5

Re my last contribution

Indices Difference	Info
Consumer Prices in Australia are 13.54% higher than in United Kingdom
Consumer Prices Including Rent in Australia are 16.85% higher than in United Kingdom
Rent Prices in Australia are 25.06% higher than in United Kingdom
Restaurant Prices in Australia are 0.08% higher than in United Kingdom
Groceries Prices in Australia are 35.31% higher than in United Kingdom
Local Purchasing Power in Australia is 17.70% higher than in United Kingdo

Even with those adjustments the teachers are better off,

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.