cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public News Services

Fixes: 47

Public News Services

Will public news services eventually die out through lack of use?
The reason I ask is because the other day I was talking to my 28 year old daughter about something I saw on the news and she said this....
"The only time the news is on our TV is when you visit and put it on"
I'm sure she gets all her news from Facebook and the school run.
Will these people start to watch the news as they get older or are the national and local news services a dying medium.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Public News Services

I rarely actually watch the news these days, considering it's here on the web 24/7, it's usually out of date by the time it's on the telly... Huh
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

we always have the local news on and the weather reports both in the morning and around tea time, there have bene a few occasions where we would switch the tv off to avoid the news because of a particular storyline on the odd day or if there just given the same details they gave the last 3 days about the same non news story.... on the other hand my teenage kids regularly watch news broadcasts when there at school because its one of the few media sites they an access on their internet connection via their tablets .....
I don't suppose the news broadcasts will disappear although how their broadcast might well change, the airwaves will disappear as the fibre rollout progresses and we are migrated to channel hopping via the fixed line services (of course they would need to cable up every property for that to become a reality so perhaps not in my lifetime) some radio stations have already started migrating to online only as they see numbers of listeners dwindle (especially since a lot of mobiles can no longer receive the signal and personal stereo's are mostly forgotten)

it can only be a good thing though since accurate viewing figures can finally be recorded for each program rather than the current method of gaining aggregated viewing figures .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Mainstream media is definitely dead as a dodo ( for me anyway ) i suppose they will have to pump out the propaganda so the BBC should be around for the next 100 years at least ( and the Daily Mail )
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Strat I think you're right. The youf tend to get their news from social networks and blogs which are like echo chambers reinforcing their own misguided views. Then they are surprised at the results of general elections when the silent majority who don't have twitter accounts finally speak.  Cheesy
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Fixes: 104

don't have the news on tv much; but have 5live on a bit, plus about 4 news websites..
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

During the day I normally have BBC News on in the background. I also listen to LBC for good topical discussion.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I find the news a bit depressing to be honest. It's always full of doom and gloom it seems.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!