cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pub Car Parks

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Pub Car Parks

Our favourite eating pub, for sunday lunch, is a very busy, popular pub. it has a large grassed area where the kids can run riot, complete with a few  climbing frames and sometimes a bouncy castle,  plenty of outside seating, Inside it can get quite crowded with customers, all tables fully booked... we have to book on Friday now to get a table on Sunday !. 
There are at least 7 waitress/bar girls plus at least 3 chefs, and probably a kitchen hand for the washing up machine, plus the owner and his missus...
The car park is not BIG, and consequently is well used... however... it is a mine field of big pot-holes and loose gritty surface... when it rains, it is lethal to anyone but nimble footed persons... What a shame the landlord doesn`t get it properly surfaced....
I am sure this MAY be a way of discouraging disabled people? ? ? from using the pub... because it is very difficult to push a person in a wheelchair across it... ( come to think of it, .... I don`t remember seeing any disable designated parking space... )... let alone a disabled person trying to propel themselves in a wheelchair across it....
Can`t remember if there is a sign " The owners do not accept any liability for accidents or damage caused in the car park".... but surely this is just a "get out of jail" notice when/if a disabled, (or even an able bodied ) person has a trip/fall and hurts themself..... due to the surface of the carpark....
council`s are liable for the safety of the public against trips and falls on pavements... so why should landlords of pubs be exempt ?
How do you think this "problem" should be tackled, i.e. advising the landlord to get his act together on the outside, in the same way as on the inside.
22 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Pub Car Parks

Quote from: shutter
Our favourite eating pub, for sunday lunch, is a very busy, popular pub. it has a large grassed area where the kids can run riot, complete with a few  climbing frames and sometimes a bouncy castle

Before replying to your car park question, I can't think of anything more likely to send me scurrying away looking for a quieter pub for lunch even if their food is good. The only other thing more likely to put me off is a banner outside saying they have giant screen TV football.
But as to the car-parks, if they are not infringing the public highway (pavements) they would no doubt be deemed private property and can do as they please. Possibly trading standards might be interested, but probably unlikely.
The majority of restaurant pubs (as opposed to gastro-pubs) are often chain owned even if the connection is sometimes very subtle, you may have to look hard in the menu to find it. But this is the route you should take to make any complaints, the pub mien host is almost certain to be an employee these days rather than an owner and probably can't do anything about the car-park even if he wanted to.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

First step: have you complained to the pub management?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Actually, although the pub is very busy, in numbers, it is reasonably quiet... and you don`t have to raise your voice to hold a conversation across the table.... it has a good family atmosphere, and kids are generally well behaved... there is no "juke box"... sometimes, rpt, sometimes there is a flat screen telly on , but no sound !... weird, I know... !..
the carvery there is very good, you can have 3 meats,.... roast beef, ( very pink - not to my liking )... roast pork ( very well cooked , soft and succulent),  and roast chicken... ( very well cooked, and tasty)..  if you want, you can have all three, or just one or two choices.... O.A.P`s can have a "small portion"...i.e. children`s version, where they only get one meat.... and costs half the price....
There may be a bit of a queue for the carvery, but that depends on who got there first..... !.( i.e. maybe a large family group )... ..  payment, and tickets are issued at the end of the bar, (almost) seperate from the drinking part, ..
As for "complaining" to the management.... It is a private ownership pub,... Although we have been going there for a couple of years, I would not complain about the carpark, in a "direct" manner.... i.e.
"Oi... are you the owner/landlord.... do summat about yer carpark mate.... disabled people may hurt themselves"  it would have to be a more "subtle" anon approach...
my post was really a "general query" type, as I am sure there are many pubs with similar "off road" experiences as an excuse for a car park....
the "alternative pub" we use when they have the whole pub booked for private function/wedding/christening/etc... is a chain owned pub, and has a proper tarmac carpark.... also, it has just been re-tarmac`d and looks very smart.... but the food is not so good or plentiful on their carvery ! ! ...
Community Veteran

Does the pub have a website where you can leave a comment which the owner will see or other customers can back you up?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Way back when I was doing negotiation training I was fed a statistic which stuck, though I can't attribute it.
In the UK only one person in thirty person would raise a complaint about service/product. The rest just walk away.
The pub landlord might want to hear about problems.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

As for "complaining" to the management.... It is a private ownership pub,... Although we have been going there for a couple of years, I would not complain about the carpark, in a "direct" manner.... i.e.

if you've got something to say then at least have the balls to tell them.
or you are going to be one of those anonymous keyboard warriors where you only have the nerve to complain from the safety of your own couch?
Community Veteran

@ chenks76...... what`s with the "attitude"  ? 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I understand that if someone comes on to your property and injures themselves then you are liable, your house insurance may cover it.
So a business, in this case a pub offering services to people would in my mind be even more open to ending up in court and paying damages.
As for chenks76 comment I would just ignore it as he comes across as a bit paranoid as I have noticed to his response to some of my previous posts.
Fixes: 125

Quote from: AlaricAdair
In the UK only one person in thirty person would raise a complaint about service/product. The rest just walk away.
Sounds about right - we seem more likely to complain about the weather than anything else.
As an observation I think we're more likely to complain the older we get and I think this is due more to confidence, not wanting to taken for a ride and a sense of fair play rather than just being an older, cantankerous git Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

@ Artmo..... the pub website looks as though it is an "ancient relic".    states there is a new menu from 2006  !... and also there is ( on  "the bar" page... ) smoking and non-smoking areas... i.e. written before the current legislation about indoor smoking....
no place to leave feedback..... saw some on "Trip Advisor"...none of them referred to the car park !... usual gripes about poor service.. but generally good comments... I have never had a bad experience there, regarding service... and always the food was very good... however, I have not tried any of the "menu" food, so have not had to wait from ordering to eating...
The staff always seem to be very busy, and helpful, never seen any problems with them.... so can`t understand some of the comments on Trip Advisor.... each to his own, I suppose...
If the chef is not busy serving when we have finished our meal,... I try to pass on my thanks and compliments to him....
I have complained at many places where I consider the service or the food does not meet some basic requirements.. usually by asking to speak to the manager, or person in charge of the kitchen/catering....
@gleneagles.... yes, I agree, one would have thought that the car park area is part of the Pub and the business, so it should be "covered" by their business, "all risks" policy in case of accidents,...
Community Veteran

As you've been going there for some years you possibly know the owners at least to nod to. I'm sure if approached in the right manner they would be appreciative of your comments.
As mentioned by gleneagles any injury would be the responsibility of the landlord and his insurer. If a claim is settled I would imagine the insurer would demand something is done to prevent a re-occurrence.
Under  disability laws does the premises not have to disabled friendly as well as providing disabled carking bays?
Another issue is damage to vehicles that may be damaged.
Community Veteran

Yeah.... "nodding terms" is about as far as I go, with them.... don`t want to be too friendly ... nor do I want to "displease" them if I mentioned/complained about the car park.... most likely would then "pretend" they were fully booked when we phone up ! ! ! ! ! ...  Cheesy
There is a lady in a large wheelchair, that has sunday lunch around the same time as us, so it is "accessible" on wheels !.. however, as mentioned in the o.p.  I can`t remember actually seeing any bays marked for disabled use...
I always seem to manage to find a place where I can park easily, just by the exit... ( plenty wide enough to get a lorry in there ! )... so no danger of getting car damaged, and wide enough to open the doors...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@ chenks76...... what`s with the "attitude"  ?

no "attitude" here buddy.
but if you've got a "valid" complaint about an establishment then the obvious thing to do would be to go speak to them, rather then post about it in a forum.
Quote from: gleneagles
As for chenks76 comment I would just ignore it as he comes across as a bit paranoid as I have noticed to his response to some of my previous posts.

where are you seeing "paranoia"? do you even know what that means?
i seems you don't based on what you posted.
Quote from: artmo
Under  disability laws does the premises not have to disabled friendly as well as providing disabled carking bays?

is there any law that states "disabled" parking has to be provided?
if there is such as law then there a thousands of business that fall foul of such a law.
there isn't any law that states a business needs to provide any parking at all.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Can`t remember if there is a sign " The owners do not accept any liability for accidents or damage caused in the car park".... but surely this is just a "get out of jail" notice when/if a disabled, (or even an able bodied ) person has a trip/fall and hurts themself..... due to the surface of the carpark....
council`s are liable for the safety of the public against trips and falls on pavements... so why should landlords of pubs be exempt ?
How do you think this "problem" should be tackled, i.e. advising the landlord to get his act together on the outside, in the same way as on the inside.

Just because they do not accept liability does not mean there is no liability - it just means they don't agree they are liable and its a stalling tactic against the first legal contact - making it a bit more expensive. They still have a duty of care and thus are liable for injuries etc.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!