cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Psssst.... wanna buy a convertible Range Rover ?

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Psssst.... wanna buy a convertible Range Rover ?

5 REPLIES 5
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Psssst.... wanna buy a convertible Range Rover ?

My old mate would shake his head in disbelief at that.

He was involved in the delivery of Leyland cars. When transporters arrived cars would be carefully checked particularly on the top deck. If any marks were found the route was then minutely checked. The commonest problem were trees overhanging the road. Sagging branches were quickly pointed out to the relevant authority and removed.

I guess you can't do that with a bridge.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@billnotben wrote:

I guess you can't do that with a bridge.

Yeah....but...  he "shudda gone to specsavers" so he could read the sign before, and above, the bridges... also he "shudda known" the maximum height of his vehicle.... and ... it`s loaded height.. so ensuring he did not damage a bridge or two along the way...

I should think that there is some "hgv routeplanner" that does give the information about such hazards along the way... 

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@billnotben wrote:

My old mate would shake his head in disbelief at that.

He was involved in the delivery of Leyland cars. When transporters arrived cars would be carefully checked particularly on the top deck. If any marks were found ...

@billnotben

Weren't they going to go rusty anyway, even without a bit of help?  Smiley

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

How are the actual overall heights measured; physically or theoretically?  I know damn all about it, but ISTM that small variances could occur (say tyre pressures) to make such accidents possible , if but very seldom.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@RobPN wrote:

Weren't they going to go rusty anyway, even without a bit of help?  Smiley

Despite most being delivered unscathed way back when, without the aid of any satnavs, hardly any motorways, a lot more railway bridges, I guess most are just red stains and fond memories now.

Leyland kept a lot of people employed. Made a fair few jigs and fixtures for their production lines.

Had nothing to do with their rust proofing though.Smiley

@Luzern wrote:

How are the actual overall heights measured; physically or theoretically?

You would think something like a car transporter would have to be measured physically, especially considering how much money is involved, as the overall height could vary a lot depending on what's riding on the top deck. But I wouldn't be surprised if they just have an unladen raised deck height figure stuck on the dash and leave it to the driver to "add on a bit".