Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pseudoscientific nonsense?

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Pseudoscientific nonsense?

Strangely enough, placebos have been shown to work..... even when people know they are taking them. No for me though. Along with Homeopathy I think it's all a load of baloney. 

15232332_1782136188706438_2102186434467854533_n.jpg

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
7 REPLIES
2u2me
Aspiring Pro

Re: Pseudoscientific nonsense?

Just shows how the brain is such a strong organ.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@Minivanman,

Not disputing what you say but I thought the whole ideas behind doctors prescribing placebos was that patients were under the impression it was a drug they were being given.

I suspect that a number of patients with minor ailments would get better even if they drank an extra glass of water a day as the body has the ability to fight many things off without the help of medication.

Going to the other extreem how much damage has been caused by the over prescribing of drugs, antibiotics being a prime example.

Minivanman
Hero

I'll have to search for it, but I did read somewhere of how surprised everybody was when, as well as those blind trials, some patients were told they were being giving placebos.... and they still worked!

Still scratching my head over that one.  

PS. Here you go. https://www.theguardian.com/science/2010/dec/22/placebo-effect-patients-sham-drug

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Intresting links, for me the key to it is explained in the link given by mook.

That mentions the importance of being given the time with a Doctor or nurse practitioner so it's not the placebo that leads to the improvement but the time and attention being given to the patient.

Think about this, how many patients go to the doctor with problems he cannot sort out ie. social problems, marriage problems but the patient presenting with depression or anxiety but if the Doctor or Nurse has the time to listen and emphasize with the patient they can come out feeling better because someone understands their problem.

This is one reason behaviour therapy works for some people but that's another topic

Minivanman
Hero

I take your point, but in the real world doctors do not have the time... and patients want the pills, regardless.

Antibiotics anyone?

alanf
Aspiring Pro

Dr Ben Goldacre at  Nerdstock  re placebo (Caution: Strong language may offend some)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1Q3jZw4FGs