Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prostate Cancer

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Re: Prostate Cancer

@Infinity wrote:

This looks promising.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-6103647/Is-Michael-proof-doctors-FINALLY-secret-weapon-bea....

I am still clear of PC.....

If those reports are accurate then indeed, that is good news.

The government have also said more money will be spent on treating prostate problems.

A common problem for many elderly men is benign prostate enlargement which causes a number of problems and research in this area has also progressed, the latest being steam to reduce the size whilst causing the minimum level of side effects.

The cynical side of me wonders how long it will be before these things become available to all as all we seem to hear these days is cut backs and longer waiting times.

Infinity
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@gleneagles wrote:

@Infinity wrote:

This looks promising.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-6103647/Is-Michael-proof-doctors-FINALLY-secret-weapon-bea....

I am still clear of PC.....

A common problem for many elderly men is benign prostate enlargement which causes a number of problems and research in this area has also progressed, the latest being steam to reduce the size whilst causing the minimum level of side effects.

The cynical side of me wonders how long it will be before these things become available to all as all we seem to hear these days is cut backs and longer waiting times.

The steam process would NOT have detected my early signs of Prostate Cancer, as no samples are taken, AFAIK.

My PC was diagnosed by lab tests on the detritus from Prostate reduction, ie removal of tissue.

Regarding long waiting times, I was seen, diagnosed & treated at the Christie, Manchester, within a matter of weeks, though if more men are treated by the steam method, this could indeed lead to longer waiting times, but steam appears to be a much quicker treatment, so releasing time for more procedures.

Again, males over 50 should arrange for a PSA test, not definitive, but indicative.

My PSA Test.jpgSteadily rising PSA levels for myself couple of years before treatment, max 18.

2017 TURP and Radiotherapy, PSA levels now ZERO.

(TURP = Trans Urethral Resection of Prostate)

Looks horrendous, but with epidural, absolutely no pain nor discomfort at all....

Community Veteran

@Infinity

You are fortunate to have a good GP and live in a area where referrals for this type of problem is diagnosed and treated quickly.

I suspect there are some areas in the country where you would wait much longer.

As for diagnosis I understand there will soon be a blood test which is far more accurate than a biopsy and thus speed things up.

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

Artificial intelligence stopped prostate cancer spreading by continually assessing a patient's response to drugs and then readjusting the doses

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-6113611/Artificial-intelligence-stopped-prostate-cancer-sp...

Early days....

Oh no, not the finger again !!

Screen Shot 2018-09-01 at 11.13.38.jpg

the Christie Hospital and my two Consultants intelligence worked fine for myself.

Champnet
Pro
Fixes: 1

@gleneagles wrote:

@Infinity

You are fortunate to have a good GP and live in a area where referrals for this type of problem is diagnosed and treated quickly.

My GP suspected a problem but quoted a 10 - 12 week wait to see a Consultant.

The Wife insisted I go private. All tests done within a week. The result : A cancerous growth within the Colon.

Survival expectancy ? Without an emergency operation 2 - 3 months. Operation was successful resulting in a Stoma for 2 Years. Everything now back where it should be....  I was fortunate.

Community Veteran

@Champnet

You were indeed fortunate, glad everything went well.

I think it is wrong that those who can afford to pay or have medical insurance can get quick treatment yet I confess to being two faced about this, if I had something that required urgent treatment I would go private, even if I had to borrow the money.

No one persons life is more important than any other persons life but faced with something that could end your life I guess your life becomes more important than other peoples lives.

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

@Champnet wrote:

@gleneagles wrote:

@Infinity

My GP suspected a problem but quoted a 10 - 12 week wait to see a Consultant.

The Wife insisted I go private. All tests done within a week. The result : A cancerous growth within the Colon.

Survival expectancy ? Without an emergency operation 2 - 3 months. Operation was successful resulting in a Stoma for 2 Years. Everything now back where it should be....  I was fortunate.

Excellent News.

And a good decision to go private.

Champnet
Pro

The decision wasn’t mine, I was prepared to wait.

I have to thank my wife for my continuing existence....

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

BBC’s Bill Turnbull, 62, speaks of 'darkest' days in battle with prostate cancer but says his 'energy levels are up' as he raises awareness of disease

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6260125/Bill-Turnbull-speaks-darkest-days-battle-prostate-c...

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/1029350/prostate-cancer-symptoms-bill-turnbull-signs-bbc...

I am due my 3 monthly PSA test when I return to the UK

So far, all clear.......

Again, if you are a male over 50, please have a PSA blood test, it could help save your life.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

@Champnet

As people have said, glad to hear it went well. I have experience of cancer through a family member and I can't really go into detail here (at risk of being told off) but in a similar situation to yours. To sum it up, it looked very (read as very very) bad at one point but all now is good.

I think you need to treat the wife from this, and she deserves a really good Christmas present now.

Your mission if you choose to accept it (yes in a Mission Impossible voice) is to decide what. Tongue

Champnet
Pro

Thanks @Alex

10 years ago I was hit by GBS, 2 weeks in intensive care and 2 years off work, She got me through that as well.

Christmas present ? Well  she's still got me what more could she want ?  no suggestions thank you.....

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

@Infinity wrote:

I am due my 3 monthly PSA test when I return to the UK

So far, all clear.......

Again, if you are a male over 50, please have a PSA blood test, it could help save your life.

PSA test this week, all clear

PSA  221018 copy.jpg

Coupled with MRI Scans, Full Body Bone Scans, Ultra Sounds & X-Rays and various injections, though thankfully no Chemotherapy

Excellent care from all the medical staff at the Christie, Manchester, Wythenshawe Hospital and my own superb GP.

Fantastic support from Family, friends and ex-colleagues.

Linac copy.jpgLinac Radiotherapy

Bill Turnbull, not quite so fortunate

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2018-10-26/bill-turnbull-cancer-one-year-on-from-diagnosis/?fbcli...

Marksfish
Aspiring Pro

I had a PSA test a few weeks back, got a call the next day to make an appointment with the doctor. they told me the results were slightly high (am only 50) and to have another one. Going back on Friday, let's see what happens this time!

There is a charity locally who is trying to raise awareness and was offering testing in Bedford last month, they want to see everyone over 40 tested, the doctor wasn't impressed when I told them that. The charity was doing the testing from 10am to 1pm and they took 300 tests. A friend and myself went later to avoid the queues to be told all the tests had been allocated and the list for the next session was huge, probably another couple of hundred or so put their names down. Not so much routine screening done for men as there is for women, perhaps because men don't go to the doctors routinely.

Mark

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

Be aware though that the PSA test is only indicative, not definitive.

If high  (>4.5), will lead to other tests & scans that will give confirmation, or otherwise.

Slightly high is a positive thing though, possibly caught early, hopefully.