cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proposed restrictions on selling cheap alcohol - why am I underwhelmed

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Proposed restrictions on selling cheap alcohol - why am I underwhelmed

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/8164972/Ministers-follow-Asda-in-setting-mi...
The formula, aimed a clamping down on "loss leader" deals, means that no outlet will be able to sell any alcoholic drink for below the cost of duty on the product, plus VAT.
The interesting part is the minimum prices
Under the plans, the minimum price for a litre bottle of spirits would be £10.50, while a 20-pack of beer would have to cost at least £8.50, and a bottle of normal-strength wine at least £2.
You have to wonder who this will affect - certainly not me  Grin
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Proposed restrictions on selling cheap alcohol - why am I underwhelmed

I Guess it's a return to home brewing !
Community Veteran

It will affect every drinker or smoker but it's a bit unfair to penalise those of us who like the occasional glass of wine with our meal Sad   
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

If you read the detail - no it won't - where can you buy a bottle of wine for £2.35 which is even remotely drinkable
Community Veteran

As I read it the supermarkets can still sell wines etc as a loss leader. If a supermarket decides to sell a bottle at say £5 it doesn't appear to break the intended law but won't have much of a negative effect on sales.
This should be tackled by stricter penalties for offenders with the Police taking a stronger line against anyone getting drunk and courts imposing harsher sentences.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Indeed it should, artmo. If only the police hadn't abandoned the streets years ago...
Another case of a government quick fix which will do anything but.
Not young enough to know everything
idlewis
Grafter

SNP government wanted the minimum unit price in Scotland to be 45p in the alcohol bill, but all other parties opposed it apart from the Greens  including Tories and Labour so it will not happen here in the meantime so why are those same parties like it to happen in England.