Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Propane Gas

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Propane Gas

Do any of you guys (or gals) know where I can get hold of an adaptor that will allow me to make a female to female (nut to nut) connection?

No smut please Wink

I'm trying and obviously failing to connect a propane heating torch to a gas cylinder but both have the same outlet/inlet. Annoying or what, especially when a internet search turns up nothing up! Grrr

propane.jpg

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
16 REPLIES
maranello
Aspiring Pro

Re: Propane Gas

I would have thought that you would need a regulator between the cylinder and the gas torch. Would one provide the necessary connectivity?

My other car isn't a Ferrari
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I think it's highly unlikely that you will ...  I think you'd have to hack the existing end off the torch pipe and put the opposite connector on it, and has been suggested you'll need a regulator on the cylinder. Propane regulators often come with a captive connector to the cylinder and end in a tail suitable for an appropriate hose

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Why don't you connect it to your mouth, as some might argue there's enough hot air coming out of it. Funny

Minivanman
Hero

Already thought of that one @maranello as I do have a spare regulator but  luck I'm afraid.

Great minds and all that Wink

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Minivanman
Hero

Blimey @shutter, that looks a handful for a seemingly simple job! Thumbs Up

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Using the Google "Shopping" search for  "Propane Gas Pipe Connector...  reveals plenty of pics of pipes and connectors... all you need to do is scroll down the page(s) until you see a connector that you want... and you should see the "shop" you can buy it  or go to the site for more  info.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=propane+gas+pipe+joint&hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=shop&source=lnms&sa=X&...

@Minivanman I think I saw one with a flexible pipe between two female connectors...

maranello
Aspiring Pro

Minivanman
Hero

Thanks @shutter, looks like a pigtail will do the job but I wonder if I can buy just the end connector and as @SteveA suggested hack off the female end. Might work and might even be cheaper.

Cheers guys.... or gals.

Minivanman
Hero

@maranello

Thanks for that link, bingo Thumbs Up

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Note that that is a CALOR propane regulator - so will only screw into cylinders with a Calor anticlockwise thread.

I'm not sure if Calor have changed how you get cylinders from them - you used to have to basically "buy" the first cylinder and then you exchange empty ones for full ones and when you finish you return the empties to Calor and they give you the money back.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Most propane (red) cylinders are the same thread, it is only the butane (blue) ones that have various different ring sizes on them, some are 20mm, some 22 some larger.

NB BUT you still need a regulator in between the cylinder and torch, or you will end up with a frozen torch or a fireball (frozen as all the gas in the cylinder is in liquid form and chills as it changes to gas) the torch will be rated somewhere on it for either 38mb (old style) or 30mb (new style) or 1-3 bar needing a hp regulator, but still a regulator.
Minivanman
Hero

With that in mind I have just ordered one of these (variable 0.5 - 4 mbar) at less than the cost of just an adaptor to fit a spare regulator I have which is probably unsuitable as it's fixed at 37mbar.

reg.jpg

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I used to use my 38 (or 37 been a long time since I actually read it), on my gas stove which was rated at 30, worked fine for boiling.
The UK used to be all 38 (or 37) but we changed to the EU system about 12 (maybe more) years ago, and all new equipment had to be @30mb.
At the time the caravans changed from cylinder mounted regulators to centre mounted ones, fed by high pressure hoses, this led to many many regulators failing due to oil being leached into them since they were lower than the cylinder (at least that is what I remember from the time, my 'van still has the old cylinder mounted regulator)