cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Promoted to the level of his own incompetence.

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

It's an old saying, but so true here...
His appearances have been cringeworthy.
85 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Promoted to the level of his own incompetence.

So true its beyond belief.
How do morons like this get into these jobs? What do they actually do when in these jobs? - sit at a computer drawing pretty pie charts, making spreadsheets and writing reports that no-one but themselves will read?
The BBC is certainly getting through CEOs these days isn't it. The beast is so out of control that no CEO seems to be able to tame it  Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Infinity
Pro

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I'm related to someone who was wrongly accused as the target of a gutter press feeding frenzy. After ten years this person is still paying off the debts which arose as a consequence. At the time 25 innocent people lost their jobs about two weeks before Christmas. The people involved have since been exonerated by official enquiry, yet the members of the press who caused such personal damage to those involved remain unpunished.
So when I see the baying press demanding the departure of Entwistle I remain dubious. I certainly don't know the personal skill level of the guy so I'd hesitate before calling him a moron or incompetent. To his credit Entwistle has done the honourable thing and fallen on his sword. Hopefully we will see some similar resignations from senior members of the News Night team such as Paxman.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Infinity
Pro

George Entwistle must have Max Clifford putting the spin on his resignation statement !
Honourable thing, not mentioning the fact he was an incompetent Manager.
And was probably sacked.
It's not just about poor journalism…
George Entwistle had to go because….
He was incompetent as a manager, after being promoted to his own level of incompetence.
And to save Pattens skin.
Fixes: 105

So why hasn't the Guardian 'journalist' that outed McAlpine on twitter lost his job?
I don't have access to Entwistles CV and performance reviews like you so I'm not sure his route up through the BBC or the decisions he personally took regarding any of the newsnight stories.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Entwistle resigned after being pulled to pieces in an interview with John Humphrys.  In addition to being CEO he was also editor in chief and took responsibility for the fiasco.
Tim Davie has been appointed temporary acting director. He has no journalistic experience but was due to be promoted to chief executive of BBC Worldwide in December.
Community Veteran

I am aware of Mr Entwistle's education and career history including a 23 year period at the BBC rising from trainee journalist to Director General. Hardly the track record of an incompetent chump or a moron!
Fixes: 105

Sorry Oddball, I think you're letting facts get in the way of popular opinion. How dare you!!! Roll eyes
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

@Oddball, you are right.  He had a very good journalistic background.  I wonder how anyone would have coped with these issues after being in the job for only a few weeks.  It's very easy for people to throw out comments such as moron and incompetent  without knowing the facts.
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
It's very easy for people to throw out comments such as moron and incompetent  without knowing the facts.

A sad reflection on the way society is going these days, possibly led by the "media"......
There's nothing like a good "feeding frenzy" to sell a few papers and fill a few broadcast hours is there?
This whole episode does not reflect well on anyone, but there are even more victims being created every day.  Cry
nadger
Rising Star

Obviously the Murdoch press will have a field day - not that they are biased  Wink
MrC
Grafter

All this seems to prove for definite is that the newspaper editors know their target audience extremely well and know which buttons to push to sell their papers best  Embarrassed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

We don't know a fraction of the facts that surround all this, so all these assorted accusations that people are making are as bad as the stuff that appears in gutter press. Whilst Entwistle may have done the 'correct' thing resigning as editor in chief, it is yet again the gutter press making the derogatory remarks as they always do when they have a chance to take a dig at the BBC.
Until the investigation is complete, we won't know who has been incompetent, just because Entwistle came across badly in recent interviews doesn't necessarily make him incompetent. There are very very few people who would come across well under the sort of intense pressurised interviews that he's been subjected to, and note I'm not saying he shouldn't have been subjected to them, it was wholly necessary.
So far there has only been one mention in this thread of the Guardian "journalist" and his twitter remarks. Certainly one person that should find himself on far more than just the receiving end of a dismissal notice.
Legal action is needed to start to make people realise that they can't just go anywhere on the Internet and make accusations without any evidence whatsoever and not suffer severe legal repercussions.
I'm also of the opinion that the press need proper regulation, all this "voluntary" code of practise is clearly a joke, however not as big a joke as the latest suggestion that Patten should resign, and the BBC should be regulated by OFCOM rather than the BBC Trust, that latter idea is an insult to license fee payers.
Edit: spelling
Community Veteran

I'm sure the Guardian journalist will also be on McAlpine's list of people he will be suing. The journalist should also be prosecuted.
One of the front runners to replace Entwhistle is Ed Richards who runs Ofcom at present. He lost out to Entwhistle recently for the role. He's an ex-Blairite. Not a good choice IMO. The BBC is already too left leaning.