Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Promises promises.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Promises promises.

With both Labour and Conservatives promising to spend billions by more borrowing and the Libs promising to cancel Brexit and little else, does anybody actually believe any of it will happen. Not me.

And how come both Plaid and the SNP want independence, yet want us all to stay in the EU?

Boris the buffoon, Corbyn the confused, and Swinson sounding more like a second rate supply teacher every day.  As for those three partisan Party leaders north, south and over the sea I despair.

Pinocchio for president...at least we can tell when he lying. 🤥

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
32 REPLIES 32
Minesapint
Pro

Re: Promises promises.

Political parties are like life. The stuff you don't want to happen inevitably happens, while the really good stuff is a rare treat.

And that's whichever set of lunacy you support!

Cynical? Who me. . .?

Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 7

As the doomful prediction is of self destruction why not go down owing a few billion...

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

We hear al this stuff prior to any General Election, the older you are the less you believe what is promised, simply a matter of looking back over the years to compare what was promised to what you actually got.

Sounds good to hear increases promised for nurses or police etc only to find it has to come out of existing budget...usual way is to reduce staff numbers, increase pay for remaining staff with part of the savings and get them to take on the work of those who have left or made redundant.

I suspect some of the savings made will be used to increase those on top pay with amounts well above inflation levels.

Not uncommon for something to be introduced which saves you money in one area only for that money to increase in another area on items you have no choice in paying eg: council tax.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Maybe they should just print more money.

No problem for Jezza of course, he can just go get a wheelbarrow from the his allotment.

"A pound of sausages sir? That'll be fifty squillion quid". 

Current UK debt according to Wiki stands at £1.78 trillion or 86.58% of total GDP.

Say it quick enough and perhaps nobody else notice and if they do well, err....

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

The fact that young voters do not have any history of promises kept and broken to look back on is the most important reason to keep voting age at 18 or even increase it.   A 16 year old has problems deciding what to get for lunch, let alone deciding which party should run the country for next 5 years ( LOL ) and are open to believe any amount of promises made by people like Corbyn and Swinson ( who when the LD were coalition with Tories voted to increase tuition fees, voted for zero hours contracts to be lawful,  the bedroom tax, cuts to benefits and was lobbying for an in-out EU referendum ( but only if the voters gave the correct answer ).

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

It's pretty obvious to the older generation who the ' spend spend spend' promises are aimed at. Hyperbole, and all  heard before of course but will the kids be conned?

Probably.

G3WYP
Rising Star

As I was said to me many years ago, " How do you know when a Politician is Lying? They move their lips "

Derek

ffox
Pro

@Minivanman wrote:

Current UK debt according to Wiki stands at £1.78 trillion or 86.58% of total GDP.

I can remember much worse than that!  In 1946, Britain's national debt stood at about 250%.

And then we spent millions setting up the NHS. The National Insurance Act 1946 provided sickness and unemployment benefits for adults,  plus retirement pensions.  The Attlee government also nationalised about 20% of the economy, including coal, railways, road transport, the Bank of England, civil aviation, electricity, gas and steel.  Defence spending also continued at a very high rate (including National Service). 

So increased spending is possible if we borrow more (and/or increase taxes) in order to earn more and increase GDP.  We've done it once, we could do it again. Mark you, with so many of us being a drag on the economy in our old age it will be harder now.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@ffox 

I may have this wrong, but didn't we have help from the Americans under the Marshall plan, and a debt that was only recently paid off. Britain was skint beyond belief after two world wars which not only saw us up the creek without a paddle, but saw the demise of an Empire and the handing over of some of those overseas possessions to the Americans as well.

As for the NHS as you say that was through national insurance and a moot point maybe, but not so much tax as a PAYG health service. 

If the country is in a financial pickle because of an aging population as you seem to suggest, maybe a redistribution of wealth along the lines of post war nationalisation is the answer rather than the working man having to pay back a loan it cannot and probably never will be able to pay back. 

Revolution comrades, it's the only hat that fits. 💪

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@ffox wrote:   Mark you, with so many of us being a drag on the economy in our old age

I always get confused on that point.

We get told many can't afford to retire and keep on working or retire much later. And we also seem to hear that the older workers should pack it in and give the younger workers a chance of getting a job.

The codgers can't win either way.

twocvbloke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@Minesapint wrote:

Political parties are like life.

Nobody gets out alive? 🤣

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@billnotben 

That confuses me as well.

Personally I don't see how we can be a drag on the economy in our old age as all that I receive as a pension goes back into the economy purchasing items and services that keep people in work - blimey, even my free bus pass provides a need for drivers!

Now if there was a food shortage... 🍔🍟🍴

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

One promise that seems to be missing is a promise to get a grip on the ever rising council tax. This is now all out of proportion to what it used to be and must surely be overdue for a radical rethink.

Any so called benefits / savings will be pointless if it simply means that councils will pass on increased costs in the form of yet another whopping council tax rise.

Personally I don't consider it at all fair or even remotely good value for the money, as a single householder, having to pay 75% of the tax compared to a household with several working adults in.

But no doubt it will go up again with little thought to where exactly people will get this extra money from. Then the council will wail on about more shops closing in city centres because shoppers have less to spend.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

The LibDems used to have a policy to change the council tax to a local income tax.  They suggested 3 - 3.5%.  I would favour that system because it's fairer, although in my case I'd be paying more than I do now.