Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Prevention - Legalised Eugenics in the UK

mentalist3d
Grafter

Project Prevention - Legalised Eugenics in the UK

[rant]
A recent report on BBC website BBC website (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/10143746.stm) where a women was offered £200 by the non profit group from the USA, Project Prevention, to have a sterilisation procedure because they thought she was a drug addict.
While it is a sad fact that there is many babies born drug dependent, surely they have a right to life, as much as anyone else? Surely to tackle these issues, money should be spent in tackling the root causes of drug dependency, rather than a blanket sterilisation programme, which reminded me of the Nazi eugenics policy.
This organisation should not be tolerated in the UK, any organisation that advocates sterilisation or eugenics, under the thinly disguised veil of compassion, should not even be allowed to operate within this country, and hopefully there will be enough of an outcry that will stop Project Prevention from operating within the UK.
Project Prevention are not helping to support drug rehabilitation but are merely stigmatising vulnerable women, who are already stigmatised by society. As for offering money for sterilisation, this is using financial incentives, to people that are often financially unsecure to coerce sterilisation and in my opinion, no different from forced sterilisation perpetuated by the Nazi regime.
Sorry about my rant but seeing this women put forward her proposals is very scary and just so ethically wrong on many levels, I have written a full post on my site: http://lochgelly.org.uk/?p=2136 which has links to her TV interview and other people opposed to her plans, and if you want to see the site for yourself you can visit projectprevention .org (remove the space, I don't want to give them a proper link)
[/rant]
4 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Project Prevention - Legalised Eugenics in the UK

the bbc article seems to say that what happened was illegal.
There are several different arguments along this line of action, the prevention of babies born with unfortunate health problems.
We had an African Cleric in this area this week arguing about the incidences of HIV, I dont think he was a RC, but he said Abortion was not the answer to the problem, it was to educate the locals that sex was not just for weekend flings. I.E. doont have sex with any old tom dick or harry.
Again a person who is a heroin addict will pas on the addiction the the new born
Your use of the word Eugenics is not correct, Quote - is the study of methods of improving the human race, esp. by selective breeding.   Not far of from what the Germans and Nazi did
mentalist3d
Grafter

They are in the UK after receiving a $20,000 donation to operate here, but so far they have not applied to the Charities commission for charitable status as they have warned the group will be likely refused on ethical grounds. They are also looking to import their policies to Ireland.
I used the term eugenics because part of the eugenics program that the Nazis practiced targeted alcoholics as well, and they are proposing selective breeding but not on genetics but social issues. In America they have received criticism because the majority of their clients are Hispanics, also they tried to pass a bill in California which would make it compulsory for all addicts to be sterilised. High on their agenda is sterilisation of groups of people that they consider social delinquents and violent crime offenders.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I dont think they would have much success in Eire, not sure about Northern Ireland.  And the second bit you added about Criminals and social delinquents is well out of order, as that type of problem is definitely not hereditary and can be countered by education.
I am surprised that the Hispanics have let them get away with it, not sure but I would have thought that the majority by a long way are RC
I am saying most of this as an outsider as I personally cant stand the RC doctrine, but acknowledge that it exists
mentalist3d
Grafter

Most of the groups opposed to this in the UK reckon that the problems can all be tackled through proper investment, tackling the root cause of the social issues, and education, as well as utilisng the resources already freely available through the NHS. At least in the US they haven't been able to make it compulsory so they aren't fully getting away with it.
Their advert in the US says a lot about them:
Attention drug addicts and alcoholics
GET BIRTH CONTROL GET $300
Make the call today: 888-30-CRACK
I found this on Northendoctor.com which sums up my sentiments
"Quite simply, their policy of sterilisation is abhorrent. Sterilisation is always an issue that needs careful consent and the coercive influence of a financial incentive in a group of women usually living in poverty places it ethically beyond the pale."