cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Indect

mentalist3d
Grafter

Project Indect

Has anyone heard of "Project Indect" currently being developed by the EU. This is basically more surveillance, but one of the most worrying aspects is:

• construction of agents assigned to continuous and automatic monitoring of public resources such as: web sites, discussion forums, UseNet groups, file servers, p2p networks as well as individual computer systems,

• Source: http://www.indect-project.eu/

Quote below from http://cordis.europa.eu/fetch?CALLER=FP7_PROJ_EN&ACTION=D&DOC=4&CAT=PROJ&QUERY=011f30e52539:b685:00e...
"The main expected results of the INDECT project are: piloting installation of the monitoring and surveillance system in various points of city agglomeration and demonstration of the prototype of the system with 15 node stations, implementation of a distributed computer system that is capable of acquisition, storage and effective sharing on demand of the data as well as intelligent processing, construction of a family of prototypes of devices used for mobile object tracking, construction of a search engine for fast detection of persons and documents based on watermarking technology and utilising comprehensive research on watermarking technology used for semantic search, construction of agents assigned to continuous and automatic monitoring of public resources such as: web sites, discussion forums, usenet groups, file servers, p2p networks as well as individual computer systems, building an Internet based intelligence gathering system, both active and passive, and demonstrating its efficiency in a measurable way."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/6210255/EU-funding-Orwellian-artificial-intelligence-plan-to-...
6 REPLIES
Lurker
Grafter

Re: Project Indect

If they are interested in the drivel I talk most of the time, they are welcome to it!
mentalist3d
Grafter

I'm not fussed they'll be profiling me online, it is the fact they will be monitoring "individual computer systems" so does that mean they will bypass my PC security measures and have a rake through all my PC files? And if so that is an extreme invasion of privacy, and what about individual PCs used for business, as they will contain sensitive information about clients, customers and financial information.
matt_2k34
Grafter

if there monitoring computer systems they probably mean they will be (unlawfully) intercepting traffic id think - not your files but everything online.
Welcome to the EU...
Community Veteran

It's not just the EU and it's not new.
Have you heard of signal intelligence winning us the 2nd World War - i.e all telephone circuits between US and Europe, all mail searched , opened and read at Bermuda - Bletchley park and Egima decoding, the new computer colossus? and a whole lot more.
OK you might say that was a world war - but it was going on before the war started, and especialy before the US formally entered the war.
And governments will say it's even more important now with terrorism.
I'm not defending it - but what ever we say it will continue.
mentalist3d
Grafter

I agree that it will continue regardless what people say, its a shame that were building society on mistrust though
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Police were given powers recently to break into your individual PC to have a look around. They assured us that they wouldn't misuse it but so did all the councils before they started using anti-terror laws to spy on dustbins.
What worries me more is if they're allowed to snoop around your hard drive, whats to stop them putting stuff there to set you up?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!