cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profiteering oil companies?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Profiteering oil companies?

At the merest hint that the OPEC members are considering a price rise for a barrel of crude, oil companies supplying fuel to petrol and diesel pumps, can within minutes apply a price rise to you and me, in spite that it is well known that a price rise in crude can take several weeks to effect that moment of production at the pumps from stock levels held at refinery's. Why then does it take so long for the same oil companies to re-calculate a price reduction when the price of crude falls.
Some retail garages -notably supermarket chains- are at this time slightly reducing their prices, but nothing like the percentage that the actual cost per barrel has fallen over recent months.
Has anyone heard of an oil company actually successfully defend this position, in terms that the hapless consumer can understand.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
21 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Re: Profiteering oil companies?

Our 2 closest Tesco petrol station is always 2p a litre behind those around them, and the price changes they change at the same time.  They are about 4-5 miles apart and one of them is always a few p cheaper than the other, but as I say always 2p cheaper than the next cheapest in the area.
It looks to me like it is more to do with Tesco being the cheapest that the actual price of oil.
Phil
pierre_pierre
Grafter

in my part of Essex, Braintree, Chelmsford, Colchester, Shell, Sainsbury are 1p cheaper than Tesco, only reason I use Tesco at the moment is a 5p a litre off voucher
see also http://www.keepmoving.co.uk/fuel_info.aspx and http://www.petrolprices.com/ for uptodate price comparisons
James
Grafter

I can't remember the actual deal, but I think Sainsbury's do something promotional if you pay £50 or more when you shop there.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

they did last month Lips are sealed
N/A

Retailers can only drive prices down if others are prepared to compete.
If other outlets can charge more for the same product and sell it in sufficient quantity to make enough profit they have no incentive to reduce their pricing.
It they don't reduce theirs, the cheaper retailer is happy to maximise their profit whilst remaining cheaper than their competitors - good for marketing, business and the moral advantage too.
If everybody started to buy their fuel at the cheapest outlet, the competition would force the price down.
While folks remain happy to pay a few pence a litre more, nothing will change.
Fortunately in Leeds/Bradford people tend to be more tight-fisted, and do buy their petrol at the cheapest place, which is why this is one of the cheaper parts of the country for buying petrol. (111.1avg here, versus 112.1avg in Sheffield.)
If it works around here, why don't folks in other parts of the country do the same?
Superuser
Superuser

Hmmm.  We're currently on 108.9 - 110.9 a litre in  Liverpool.  Does that mean we're more tight fisted than you!?!  Undecided
Phil
N/A

Yup, gonna move over there I reckon!
Although I was using www.petrolprices.com as my source, and that shows Liverpool as being 111.6p on average.
Is yours from driving round, or from a different website?
Superuser
Superuser

Really we're not quite Liverpool.  I'm 17 miles from the city centre.  The price's I quoted are from driving around, but from PetrolPrices.com we've got Shell Maghull and Shell Fazakerley both at 108.9.  From there there is also Tesco Leyland Extra which is 107.9.
Phil
nadger
Rising Star

Our local Tesco was 112.9 yesterday - nearby Shell station was 111.9.
Only use Tesco to get points as they are quadrupled for Eurotunnel vouchers ( yes I know) so get about 4.5p off per litre.
Fixes: 47

Tesco are currently giving a 5p/litre off token if you spend £50 or more in store. I have one in my wallet for this weekend.
I'll probably have about 2.5% knocked off my exorbitant petrol bill as a reward for spending in excess of £50 on groceries and stuff Crazy
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I thought 5 off 111.9 was a bit more than 2.5% Embarrassed
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: pierre_pierre
I thought 5 off 111.9 was a bit more than 2.5% Embarrassed
4.468% based on 5/111.9x100
pierre_pierre
Grafter

thats roughly what I meant
Denzil
Grafter

Round here (west Cornwall) the cheapest diesel has been stuck at £1.21 for the last couple of weeks, despite that fact that crude prices have fallen about 10% in the last month.
Compare with <a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7610062.stm">this story</a>.