cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profit or loss ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Profit or loss ?

Having access to the Internet provides a opportunity to save a considerable sum of money on various things, equally it also makes you aware of things you would like to have and often go on to buy so overall has the Internet saved you money or cost you money ?
From a personal point of view I think I am about equal although I might be kidding myself and really spent more than I have saved.
10 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: Profit or loss ?

I would say it's saved me money. Being able to see online balances with ease give much more control of all finances and has enabled me to put a fair bit into savings for emergencies and the odd treat.
Also, it does make it easier when buying online to tot things up as you go along.
Add to that the various cashbacks from a credit card as well as QuidCo and the like I have definitely seen some savings.
Of course, if I let SWMBO loose with them ... Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

I would say that I have managed to make my cash go further by using the internet to search for the best deal, a couple of regular items purchased in this way have left me with a few quid spare to buy something else that I only found out about through the internet, and of course I also had to pay for that access as well.
I would probably have the exact same amount of cash in my back pocket year on year without the internet however I would not have any where near as many items over the same period. in fact I would likely have afforded less because of the inability to check account balances and transfer money without the internet (do any banks still provide phone banking? I know mine discontinued it 4 years ago amid "security and privacy concerns")
so for me its a worthwhile expense, never mind also being  a source of entertainment and a huge information resource.
I could probably use it better than I do but I certainly wouldn't wish to be without it
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Not just t`internet.... but more specifically this chit chat section of the forum..... definitely money savers....
recent example, was updating the mobile phones... was prepared to buy new phones for £20 each... then someone on here suggested an upgrade at Carphone Warehouse.... £2.99 each !..
Another example... I always buy leather soled shoes.... since those plasticky things always used to split and crack under the ball of the foot area.... Local shoe shop wanted £120.00 ....nearly bought them as they were the only one`s I could find... however. a couple of days later,... I found some "on line"  for £32.50 ( or thereabouts).... ordered two pairs ( £75.00 plus £3.00 delivery)... was extremely pleased with the quality of the shoes... came via courier.... inside the box, each shoe was wrapped in tissue paper... a spare pair of laces... and a shoe horn....... also  had a voucher for £60 off an order of £99.99 worth of wine....... ( sent that back as we don`t drink .... certainly not that much....)..... if anyone is interested in the linky.... . PM me....
nanotm
Pro

and lets not forget all those how to guides and videos that save a small fortune in repair costs when stuff breaks or indeed the part finders and search engines that let us search hundreds/thousands of suppliers worldwide to find the correct item at the cheapest overall price, bought a few bits for my hotpoint (indesit) fridge freezer the other month from Australia, with postage they cost £40 and took 4 days to arrive, from a uk supplier they would of taken 4 days but cost £90 (based on website advertised delivery times) not the first time something like that's happened and probably not the last either ......

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Always good to find the best deal. And just to find certain items when needed.
Plus I always make a point of selling a few things online to cover the upfront cost of the internet/phone.
So profit it is.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Without the internet it would not have been possible to run our lives in recent years. While living in Saudi Arabia, Cameroon, Nigeria and Pakistan it has been possible to check on salary payments and pay bills electronically also transferring money for investments. putting money in the account for swimbo has been a priority  Smiley
Birthdays and anniversaries have been covered by Amazon and Moonpig plus ecards  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Fixes: 125

And it also makes it so much easier to haggle with various companies over prices to get even better value for your money Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

When I retired, back in the 1990's SWMBO gave me the task of sorting out all the reports, trade magazines, scientific articles, books and papers I collected over a working life, I started by scanning and cataloguing and where possible downloading as PDF's', it took several years and now amounts to some 250,000 PDFs all cataloged on the Environment, Climate change, Geophysics, geology and gas and oil industry.
I started by supplying lists of "abstracts" by predefined subject and giving a list of 25-50 abstracts away for free, until somebody suggested I should charge $50 per list.
Without the internet this wouldn't be possible
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I'd say it's saved me a lot of money in the long run, as over the years since getting on the web I've learned a lot about repairing things (electrical, electronic and mechanical), so rather than paying someone else to fix things for me or have something break down and need to buy a new replacement, I just fix what I have... Smiley
As for spending money, yeah, I've probably saved money by buying via the web (or at least searching round to find prices to save some money when buying in a real shop), aswell as finding a lot of used stuff via ebay at decent prices (used to be a lot better 12 years ago when I was a new user, now it's a luck-of-the-draw thing, sometimes you get it cheap, sometimes it sells for more than its worth), though I have made errors in judgement when buying things, but usually I've turned those lemons into lemonade anyway... Smiley
Kremmen
Rising Star

I think we've all saved because it's forced the high street to keep prices keen. I think the same happened when the supermarkets started selling petrol but that's another story.
Let's be careful out there !