cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profit or Safety

Fixes: 47

Profit or Safety

Yes I know it has been discussed many times but I'm annoyed.
The A61 nearby is a dual carriageway with a 40mph limit on it.
The immediate area has 3 schools and many children cross the A61 twice a day....but not on Saturday!
There is currently a piggy bank parked in the lay-by north bound  having a very profitable day as the weather is very good and there is lots of traffic about......but no school kids!
I'm sure the police would cite safety as the reason for the van being there.
I spotted it through the trees from the south bound side so was alerted for when I came back but a car overtook me on my way home and he was caught.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: Profit or Safety

I obey speed limits  Cool

So do I.....if I spot the camera in time Wink
No excuse but a couple of hundred yards down from the camera van is the national speed limit Dronfield by-pass, a dual carriageway.
Drivers come straight off there onto another dual carriageway and get caught.
Community Veteran

Here in Essex we often have the motorcycle police parked up in lay-bys. They are not easy to see.  Near me there is a lay-by at a point where the speed limit goes from 30 to 50mph.  Drivers that anticipate the speed limit increase are often caught picking up speed a few yards prior to the limit change.  I'm sure there are better uses of police manpower.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

LOL:- Have to ask 'piggy bank' Undecided where did that term originate? new one on me.
Community Veteran

A quick google search came up with this:
The true history of the Piggy Bank is still somewhat uncertain but there appears to be a consensus that it derives its name from the orange clay, "pygg" from which it was originally made. In the Middle Ages people used to store items such as salt in wide necked jars which were made from a clay called "pygg". The so called "pig" jar retained its name long after potters stopped using "pygg" clay to produce pottery.
Money also used to be kept in the jars and in England, by the turn of the eighteen century, the jars had acquired the name of "pig banks", from where followed the name "piggy bank." These piggy banks were ceramic and had no hole in the bottom, so the pig had to be broken to get the money out.
Another theory is that the piggy bank acquired its name because it was fed the scraps and leftovers of ones small change until it was fat enough to be smashed, and the savings retrieved.

Piggy because the police are referred to as pigs in some circles and bank because speed trap vans are a good source of revenue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

My council, who are so [Censored], spent £3 million 'improving' Bexleyheath by pedestraining a bit more of the high street and resurfacing the road with bricks.
All they seem to do is have their parking contractors sit in those smart cars fitted with cameras sending out fines to anyone who stops in the yellow bus stop markings. I know it says on a sign at stop "No stopping at any time", so I guess that's why they can fine them.
Just a bit surprised that's all they focus on.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I'm not a speeder either. I prefer a clean licence BUT having said that, I'm aware that there are some areas where the signs are defective / missing etc and people still being done for it.
The rozzers in wales are the worst, they hide speed guns in horse boxes etc.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Guidelines issued by the Association of Chief Police Officers state police using speed guns 'must be clearly visible to the public and the target vehicle throughout the check'.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2032610/The-undercover-cops-Sneaky-police-officers-hide-bush...
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

In Nottingham there are Average Speed Cameras on many roads. Most people drive noticeably at a velocity below the speed limit but life goes on just the same.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: artmo
Guidelines issued by the Association of Chief Police Officers state police using speed guns 'must be clearly visible to the public and the target vehicle throughout the check'.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2032610/The-undercover-cops-Sneaky-police-officers-hide-bush...
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Yup you know that and I know that but try telling that to the police in wales! Guidelines are only guidelines after all and their CPO loves motorists for some reason.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!