cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product reviews

N/A

Product reviews

Having recently bought a new laptop, I had a cursory glance at reviews on various sites. Most of them were positive so that was good because it affirmed my choice.
However, one was poor but TBH it didn't put me off and I still went ahead and bought it.
I have to admit that I often take a look at user reviews so wondered if others did the same and if so, would one or two poor ones put you off?
How much attention do you pay to them?
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Product reviews

I take great note of them. e.g., last year I decided that my Fuji S5600 with 10X optical zoom was letting me down in the zoom department, and wanted to get more zoom for the least amount of cash, but with the minimum distortion etc, which can be a problem with bridge cameras and big zoom figures.... after trawling the basic information for max zoom , I ended up with three cameras for choice, one which was out of my price bracket, and the other two were very similar.... one had 20 X optical zoom the other had 18 X optical... this is where the reviews came into their own... expert opinion laid out in a side by side fashion. (two pages open on the same screen,) I could see the good and bad points of each camera... eventually, I chose the Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ28 with 18 X optical zoom because the expert opinion said it had No barrel distortion and no chromatic aberration (purple fringing) at full zoom , whereas the other camera with 20 X zoom had a small amount of both.
When I go for my next camera, I shall do the same again.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

In the case of Amazon - quite a lot as they tend to be honest
As shutter said - for cameras I read all the technical reviews as they are mostly very factual and helpful
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Forgot to mention, that the camera reviews I use also use the same location for picture comparison. to show the "faults" alongside the descriptions.
N/A

The problem with reviews is the quality of them, and they are very subjective. It may be that a  feature which is valued by one might be of no consequence to another.
Everyone has different opinions so in some ways you have to approach reviews with an open mind and tease out the relevant parts of the information on offer.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

I'd go along with all the previous posts. The net is incredibly useful for researching just about any product - but sometimes you have to 'read between the lines'  Wink
Not young enough to know everything
Denzil
Grafter

Yes, it depends who the reviewer is. Reviews from the general public on Amazon or other retailers can be good, but some people just like seeing their name on a website and don't know as much as they should. I would probably trust a review from an expert on a camera magazine, to use that example. Even then it can be subjective, depending on the nature of the equipment.
Back in my hifi buying days I remember reading glowing reviews of this or that CD player and amplifier combo, only to find I really didn't like the sound when I heard it for myself. We also have to ask how independent some professional reviewers are, and how much pressure manufacturers might apply - "give us a good review, or we won't send you any more stuff".
Community Veteran

You have to be careful with reviews although I do read them if I'm about to buy something new.  I recently read a review on a local restaurant.  Glowing reports, then I noticed it suggested the reviewer had had many good meals there.  The restaurant had only open 2 week previously so I feel the owner may have written this particular review.
craigyoung
Grafter

Reviews are definitely useful.  But there are two rules to reading them -
1) Ignore those written in capitals and with an absence of punctuation apart from an excess of exclamation marks. 
2) If you look long enough, you'll find a bad review about tthe greatest of products/place - so if the first 10 or 20 look ok, then stop there.  Otherwise you'll always find the one that says "I bought this product, it burnt down my house, made my fridge stop working and when I tried to return it, the salesman punched me in the face!!!!!!!  Disgusting!!!!!!!"
Wink
Fixes: 125

I, too, look for reviews but not necessarily on the purchase site as it may be skewed somewhat but can be helpful to some extent.
Reviews in magazine such as Computer Shopper and Computer Active have helped me in the past and I have relied more on these than personal reviews.
As has been said before, personal reviews can be very subjective and often no help at all.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

jmd
Grafter

I find reviews very helpful but also go I whether the product matches what I want..............so I also look at that aspect if it is indicated in the review.